Storing extra filters?

How do you store extra filters..... I just cleaned all my extra filters... And now im going to store them in a sealed rubbermade thing... Can i oil them now... Or should i wait to oil them when i put them on?

How do you store extra filters..... I just cleaned all my extra filters... And now im going to store them in a sealed rubbermade thing... Can i oil them now... Or should i wait to oil them when i put them on?

Oil them when you be ready to use them

if you are going to use them in the next few days then oil them... If they are going to be sitting for the next few weeks why bother? I have also seen the filter oil break down after a bit of time.. I didnt like that at all so I try not to oil a filter until the night before I ride.

James

Staff member
if you are going to use them in the next few days then oil them... If they are going to be sitting for the next few weeks why bother? I have also seen the filter oil break down after a bit of time.. I didnt like that at all so I try not to oil a filter until the night before I ride.
What about the pre-oiled filters you can get nowadays?

It realy depends how long they are stored. After afew weeks the oil will start to migrate and drip to the lowest point of the filter, then it will make a puddle at the bottom of the bag. At least that's what happend in my expirence

The key to storing the filters in the bag is to let the filter sit out long enough for all the solvent to evaporate. I have several filters. When they are all dirty I clean them at the same time. After cleaning I usually clip them to fan to get all the cleaning solvent out. Then I oil all of them. They sit out for at least an hour to let the solvent dissipate. Only then do I put them in zip locs. If I have not had enough time I'll put them in the zip loc but not close them up until the next day.

Never had an issue with the oil migrating even over a few months with this method. I guess it depends on the kind of oil that you use. Most foam air filter specific oils are really thick so migration just doesn't happen much. If you run a thinner brand or even gear oil like they used to spec then yes the oil will move under gravity.

It's just so convenient to have ready to go filters ready in the bag. I've even pre greased them.