Steering dampers???

Hey guys, been looking into getting a steering damper on my bike. From what I hear and read, they help a ton on technical sections and on high speed runs. Only downside is that they cost a lot of coin. From those of you that run or ran them, you guys feel they are worth the cost? And do you guys recommend one brand over another? Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated!

I rode a YZ125 for 6 years in the desert and never had a steering damper on it. When I got back into riding I got a YZ450 and put a scotts steering damper on it. I HATED IT. But I also hated the 450. I could never get that damper adjusted right. I sold the 450 and got the Husky TC250 I installed the damper on it and I love it. I will never ride a bike without one. All the other desert bikes I have ridden have had the Scotts damper. The KTM I just built had the GPR and my father in law doesnt like it as much as the Scotts.

I can feel the steering damper working when I am in High speed washes, the damper takes all the head shake or bike sway out. In tight technical stuff if you hit a rock super hard it will prevent the bars from jerking out of your hands. But at the same time you can feel it work against you in low speed corners.

Once you get it adjust right for you it makes all the difference in the world. The way you can save some money is buy a scotts off of ebay, just the damper. Then call scotts and order the mounting bracket for your bike, they all use the same damper. This way will save you maybe 100-200 bucks.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

CDA you like the above mount or below mount better? The above mount scares me because I have made helmet or chest contact with the handlebars on a few occasions.

CDA you like the above mount or below mount better? The above mount scares me because I have made helmet or chest contact with the handlebars on a few occasions.
I like the under mount as it is a clean setup, but when I was purchasing the one for the YZ, it had a little too high of a riser and the adjustment knob was too small to get to while riding for quick adjustments. The KTM only raises the bars 3/8" and the knob is bigger so making quick adjustments when transitioning into different terrain is easy. I have another one on my YZ250, but it is incorporated into the bar clamp. It raises the bars about 1 1/2" and is pretty high when sitting, but I am a desert guy and I stand more than I sit, plus being tall it helps. They all work good.

I looked into the Scott Damper, but I did not like the small adjuster knob and you do not know what setting you are at when looking down. I know a few DBAers on here that run them and like them, but I am not sure if they make any adjustments to theirs while riding. I guess they would need to weigh in on that.

Had a GPR on the TE250, have Scotts on the TE450/under and RS520/over, had a Motosports for a paper weight. (never came through with the stem mount for the IMS tank) Took it back though full pop.
IMHO almost all are created equal, it is the serviceable parts, warranty and customer care that means the most. I have herd nothing but the best and worst from both owners of brands. The slickest set up I have seen is the dial adjustment on the bars next to the grip, GPR makes that. As for the need, NEVER on a MX track would it be that beneficial. High speed street. sand, desert it's a plus, low speed tech it is a nice feature. I love mine and will run them on my bikes. Look at it this way, it's a good investment, if you need the bars lifted a little go under bar, if it does not matter, go least expensive. I have never hit the dam thing with my head or chest.

:shocked: Helmet? How do you manage that one? You slamming your chest into the bars is the least of your worries. You are going down and do you not wear a chest protector?

Had a GPR on the TE250, have Scotts on the TE450/under and RS520/over, had a Motosports for a paper weight. (never came through with the stem mount for the IMS tank) Took it back though full pop.
IMHO almost all are created equal, it is the serviceable parts, warranty and customer care that means the most. I have herd nothing but the best and worst from both owners of brands. The slickest set up I have seen is the dial adjustment on the bars next to the grip, GPR makes that. As for the need, NEVER on a MX track would it be that beneficial. High speed street. sand, desert it's a plus, low speed tech it is a nice feature. I love mine and will run them on my bikes. Look at it this way, it's a good investment, if you need the bars lifted a little go under bar, if it does not matter, go least expensive. I have never hit the dam thing with my head or chest.
I looked into the handle bar mount where you can adjust right next to the grip, but that is over kill for desert use and it is another cable sticking out there that can get caught on something. I rode a Husaberg 570 without one and it was a little squirrely. When I hit 95+ on a nice dirt section the front end was dancing around, but I found that if you did not fight it, you would be ok. I jumped on the pavement and hit 105 and again the front end was wondering. If it was mounted with a damper, it would be smooth and no worries.

Thanks for the replies guys. From looking at posted pics here and other places...I think I would prefer the under mount option as I prefer the clean look. And I like your idea Brock of buying the stabilizer used to save $ and purchasing the mount new. And Gary, now that I think about it, I do remember seeing dampers on your bikes. Next time we ride, perhaps you can let me feel the difference :prof:

:shocked: Helmet? How do you manage that one? You slamming your chest into the bars is the least of your worries. You are going down and do you not wear a chest protector?

Helmet only once. I was riding the old mint 400 course on my YZ 125 probably top of second just shifting into third. This section was pretty whooped out and I was skimming the top of them the best I could. There is a wash that runs perpendicular to the trail and I knew it was there. If you time it just right you can hit the second to last whoop clear the last one and land in the wash. Well I didn't time it right plowed the last whoop and didn't have enough speed to clear the wash. Front wheel plowed the bank and my left hand came off the bars. Blew the mouth guard off the front of my helmet front hitting the cross bar pad. I didn't go down but I coasted to a stop and had to shake the cobwebs out.

Same thing with the chest. I don't wear the plastic chest protectors, I cant ever get them to fit right and they always move and rattle. I wear the Troy Lee Designs Under jersey roost guard.

I believe if I had a steering stabilizer on my 125 my hand would not have came of the bars, because the damper would have slowed the handle bar jerk down. Sorry to go off on a tangent but it is possible to hit your chest or helmet on the bars. Especially if you ride over the front fender like I tend to do a lot.

Thanks for the replies guys. From looking at posted pics here and other places...I think I would prefer the under mount option as I prefer the clean look. And I like your idea Brock of buying the stabilizer used to save $ and purchasing the mount new. And Gary, now that I think about it, I do remember seeing dampers on your bikes. Next time we ride, perhaps you can let me feel the difference :prof:
You just dropped some sweet coin on your new scooter and you are going to buy a used Damper? You cannot guarantee the state of the damper from buying it used, plus are you going to send it out to have it rebuilt for piece of mind knowing everything is working properly. Since this is going to mounted to your new stead for quite some time, I would purchase new. Just my $.02

Go new, and yes you can ride either. they are both in the shop right now. TE is getting a rebuild and the RS is getting de-smoged and first complete check up 700 miles.

You just dropped some sweet coin on your new scooter and you are going to buy a used Damper? You cannot guarantee the state of the damper from buying it used, plus are you going to send it out to have it rebuilt for piece of mind knowing everything is working properly. Since this is going to mounted to your new stead for quite some time, I would purchase new. Just my $.02

We already talked about that, how buying a used mount would require it to be serviced to make sure it works and not having piece of mind since we wouldn't know how it was treated, serviced, etc. So if we do decide to get one, we are going to buy new. But I too "like" the idea of buying a used one and buying a new mount. I'm sure a lot of people "like" that idea. Especially if they are on a tight budget. But "liking" and "doing" are completely different things. So since we do plan on keeping these scooters for a while, I do agree with you on purchasing new.

I guess I would buy new then if I go through with it...not because of peace of mind though...but because people on the internet told me to do so :smirk: :lol:

But really, I see what you guys mean. The little difference it would cost to buy new is worth knowing you get warranty plus peace of mind. One of the reasons we went with a new bike (cause 4 strokes are expensive to fix! lol)