Starting bike for 16 year old?

I'm 16 years old 5"8" and 218 pounds I'm looking into getting a dirtbike and I have some experience from smaller dirtbikes. I used to have a 50cc dirtbike and I used to have a Honda xr100. Any ideas of a good starting dirtbike for me?

At 16 the big question is how much money you have to spend, will your parents go along with it, and the age old what kind of riding do you want to do with it? I think you could start just about anywhere. If you are going to race or plan to soon, I think a 250 two stroke would be a good rig considering your size. It would be a good cross country bike for you as well. Yamaha and Honda are my favorites, but if you can find a KTM you can afford in good shape the possibilities are better for the kind of woods I have seen in your part of the country. Tell us some more about what you plan to do to with it. There are people on here that know the three brands listed really well. (and lots of others as well.) You could buy a yamaha with the current engine (started in 99) and build a really good bike for all around use.

Yep, your size you can get just about any full size bike 250 and up and be fine. Question is, what are you planning on riding? Track, trail, race or pleasure...

It does not matter what you are going to do with it. This is your first dirt bike and the looks of it, you have a quad now, so you have the shifting, powerband and what not handled. Get a good used YZ250 2 stroke. You can find them cheap and not much money invested to keep running. Also this bike will handle track, trail, race, pleasure, desert, etc.. I was 6'3" 225lb without gear throwing an 03 YZ250 around with no problems. It would go anywhere I pointed it.

I got to put a gyt kit on a white tanked 68 dt250. You can still make a 250 yz two stroke into about anything. That bike won tt races and cross country races a day apart more than once

You don't have to do that one all at once or high gears and low. One if my friends asked me what I think of the new husqvarnas over the weekend. He has a clean yz 250. If he decides he can't stand not to buy new I am getting his 250 and doing a rekluse and wide ratio set.

It does not matter what you are going to do with it. This is your first dirt bike and the looks of it, you have a quad now, so you have the shifting, powerband and what not handled. Get a good used YZ250 2 stroke. You can find them cheap and not much money invested to keep running. Also this bike will handle track, trail, race, pleasure, desert, etc.. I was 6'3" 225lb without gear throwing an 03 YZ250 around with no problems. It would go anywhere I pointed it.

As long as it was pointing down hill. :lol: :lol: :lol: :smirk: :thumb: