Stainless Steel Oil Filters cleaning?

I've officially converted - now I am just wondering what you Fellers are cleaning them with? I am just bathing them in mineral spirits but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. (I'm a bit anal when it comes to changing out oils) Thanks in advance. N-Edge :thumb:

I've officially converted - now I am just wondering what you Fellers are cleaning them with? I am just bathing them in mineral spirits but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. (I'm a bit anal when it comes to changing out oils) Thanks in advance. N-Edge :thumb:

First is first, :lol: Don't even have a comeback for that

Second, I'd reccomend gasoline, probably one of your best bets :noidea: I use it to clean up oil alot.

First is first, :lol: Don't even have a comeback for that

Second, I'd reccomend gasoline, probably one of your best bets :noidea: I use it to clean up oil alot.

Aren't you a little young for the shady humor??:naughty: :smirk:

I guess if you pull out your dipstick and it stinks like sheet, either change your oil or move it up a notch! :thumb:

:smirk:

James

Staff member
Let me know how these SS filters work out Edge. I've been thinking about switching to save some money. :thumb:

I guess if you pull out your dipstick and it stinks like sheet, either change your oil or move it up a notch! :thumb:
:lol::cry::lol::cry::lol:

wait... I may sound a little dumb here.. please excuse the "little girlie girl in pink" moment... cuz I'm not like that, but there's such thing as a stainless steel oil filter!!!??
wicked!! :thumb:

I have not seen these before. Do they really work like a good old fashion filter? Do they make them for all bikes? Perhaps I need to read up on them. :thinking:

Just answered my own question here. They make them for all bikes it seems so now I am curious as to how they work so well. How do you know if they are clean after you clean them? Do they come apart?
I have not seen these before. Do they really work like a good old fashion filter? Do they make them for all bikes? Perhaps I need to read up on them. :thinking:

Just answered my own question here. They make them for all bikes it seems so now I am curious as to how they work so well. How do you know if they are clean after you clean them? Do they come apart?

I'm wondering too...
I believe its stainless steel wool and stuff woven together wrapped in a SS mesh....
What are the micron values compared to a good paper or oem filter? :thinking:

Here is Dirt Riders opinion. It was done on an air cooled XR400 :banana: that is harder on oil than a water cooled bike.

adendum to my first response: I do soak my stainless filter in hot water with Dawn dishwashing soap first to break the bonds of oil to metal. Then I douche it liberally from the inside out with brake cleaner, and blow it out from the inside out with compressed air afterward.

http://www.dirtrider.com/drtested/1..._stainless_steel_oil_filter_review/index.html