SPOKES

SRAD97750

Staff member
I am looking to replace my spokes and nipples with new. They are 21 years old and in terrible condition.
Now, They don't make a set specifically for my bike.
But, they make sets for bikes that use the same hubs as mine.
I would assume that if the hub is the same, the spokes will be the same.:noidea:

What do you guys think? Anyone with experience re-lacing with new spokes? -BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
What about those spoke cover things you have
They are a cosmetic fix, and I may run them on the new spokes as well.
My real issue is the nipples are all either stripped, deformed, or locked up. I can't get all the spokes to the same torque, so in very short time the wheel comes out of true. I'm tired of retightening them. Some are vice grip only at this point...

Looks like I see your bike here -> http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/spoke_kits_yamaha.asp If they don't have a kit for you, they will make you up a custom set.
Second the Buchanan option. I've been using them for the last few relaces on all my bikes.:thumb:
Good stuff, I'll give them a ring.

Anyone have experience with MOOSE branded spoke sets? Are all nipples made equal? (o)(0)
-BIG DAN:thumb:

The first time I bought, I went with the steel nipples, because I'm a tight ass. Fast forward a couple years, and the steel was rusted, seized, and impossible to repair, and replace. The next time I went with the stainless, even though it was a little more squish. Just make sure you use a thread anti seize of some sort, if you buy from Buchanan, they will include a little bottle of brown goo.

Here's my spoke thread from way back.

https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/content/threads/spokes-anyone-have-an-opinion.3962/

I used to lace rims on the side during the summer. As long as the hub is the same, the spokes will be the same bend. I would recommend NOT covering your spokes because it causes dirt to become trapped and stain and corrode them even more. Alot of kids would put colored straws on their spokes and I would end up respoking their wheel. If you cannot find spokes you can have a spoke builder make you spokes, I have had to do that on a few occasions (for really old bikes). If you want colored spokes and something that won't rust or corrode, then you may want to look at powdercoating your new spokes when you get them. Stainless steel spokes and nipples are the way to go from my experience. :thumb:

Stainless single butted Bulldog spokes from central wheel components in England are nice but aren't cheap at £60 + £15 for nickel plated nipps but really do set the wheels off nicely!DSC03634.JPG
DSC03655.JPG

The easy way to put new spokes in is to remove and replace one at a time. Then you know you got it right. Kind of hard to really clean it up properly though.

That seems like it would take forever, and by relacing the wheel completely it will be more true.