Spoken Brokes!

Last weekend, I was cruising on a known road, 4th gear. I shit myself to find it washed out on a blind corner. It was 6 feet across, and 4 foot deep. I panicked! I grabbed both brakes, too late! I grabbed a fistfull of throttle to try to get my front wheel over it. Success! But I cased it hard on the rear wheel! I busted 2 spokes, and just did an easy over the bars. No damage to person. Bike came over the abyss and died. Two clanging broken spokes. I used my Leatherman to cut them off with some real effort.

For the life of me, for the rest of the weekend, I could not go a mile or two without a spoke wrench I had in my pocket to keep the rear wheel from going "upbittiy-upbitty"! All the other spokes just went slack on me! OK, I had a catastrophic on the rim, and expected to ride after it. But it was Saturday afternoon! FUUUUUUUUUU! Beat me up! I deserve it! I did ride and tighten the spokes every mile, and still had fun!

Now I have to do the nasty and take this wheel apart!:foul:

That sucks man... Have you ever had one apart... It sucks.. Takes alot of time... My best advice is to take alot of pictures of how the spokes go... That will help you the most...

Make sure you didn't bend the rim, if you cant see it, you'll find out when you are sitting there trying to true it for 6.7 days. :rolleyes:
Also, remember to grease the spoke threads! Seized nipples are NO fun. :smirk:

Wheel work has to be the worst mechanical maintenance ever!

Bummer Buck! Make sure the rim is not egg shape or you will never get it right. Might even think about a new hoop anyway. Probably the cheeper way to go.

I have that harbor freight true stand... Its really nice...Worked flawlessly.... I would get new spokes and nipples.. for sure...

I have about a half of wheel of NEW spokes to replace the broken ones and replace some that have seized nipples. The rim still looks round. To be determined! Do you think I can get away with replacement spokes? I can fabricate a truing stand on my bench. I've never done it before.

Buick.... I would replace all the spokes and nipples... And then lace it... And then intall it back on the bike... with no tire,breaks... or anything... and i would true it like that... that would be the easiest way i would think