spark plug boosters and powernows any good?

Yet another question for the geniuses of DBA....

Well since I work at parts store and get crazy discounts on parts for my bikes I might as well ask about a few things im interested in. The first is a spark plug booster such as iBooster or the nology hotwire. what are they good for if anything at all? do they really help or is it a placebo effect? between the two which is better as they are the only ones I found. do I need a new ignition coil for it to work? well more than one question, but please let me know... any info will help, thanks :thumb:

And power nows... are they any good, are they even worth getting on my 450. will they help the 150 out? again any info will help thanks :thumb:

Save your coin for some cool anodized aluminum schrader valve caps or one of those nubby gas vents.
Unless you are competing at the very top of thamatuer level and running the national events then those little "must haves" arent necessary.

heres something I've been wondering- I used to be waaaaay into tuner cars, and pretty much everyone I know had big gauge plug wires. you'll never find modded car without em :cool:.....has anyone ever seen them for bikes? supposedly more powerful, more consistent spark, and it prob works, but a car has 4-8 cylinders. at the very least it would probably torque your powerband imo.
<br><br><br><br><br>

jk :D... but seriously, anyone think it could have a positive effect?

I've built alot of modified GM engines.. Big block and small block... What i have heard/read/used points to... If you are running stock coil/stator/distributor whatever you have.. OEM wires are perfect .. No issues

If you were running anykind of high output ignition system.. It might be worth looking into.. (This is just my view from the automotive side of things)

From what i've read about the power nows things is it hurts smaller bikes .. But helps on bigger bore engines...

about t power nows things is it hurts smaller bikes .. But helps on bigger bore engines...

how does it hurt smaller bikes exactly? and they do work for bigger bikes then?

someone in a forum i read last night said the iboosters will really only help 2 strokes.

heres something I've been wondering- I used to be waaaaay into tuner cars, and pretty much everyone I know had big gauge plug wires. you'll never find modded car without em :cool:.....has anyone ever seen them for bikes? supposedly more powerful, more consistent spark, and it prob works, but a car has 4-8 cylinders. at the very least it would probably torque your powerband imo.
<br><br><br><br><br>

Answer racing put out a product called "roost boost" which was supposed to enhance the spark. It was a failed product as it did nothing to improve performance.

jk :D... but seriously, anyone think it could have a positive effect?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Here is some actual information on the subject.

PowerNow
"Mounted into the backside/airboot side of the carburetor, the PowerNow, slices the single air venturi going into the carburetor into 2 smaller, faster, venturis via the PowerNow’s ‘Power Plate’. The trademarked revolutionary Power Plate assists the vacuum of the fast moving air by drawing the fastest moving air molecules through a precisely positioned hole in the plate, drastically increasing the speed of the top and bottom venturis entering the cylinder. With this modification, the result is volumetric engine efficiency through uncompromised airflow velocity."

I can see how this could work to benefit smaller throttle openings, as intake diameter is less crucial under 1/2 throttle.
But once you get it over 1/2 throttle, technically this "plate" would be directly in the airflow. I think this would be a detriment to an already choked-up stock intake boot when air/fuel volume is most crucial.(WFO)

Spark plug boosters
PLASMA
"The Plasma Booster sets up a capacitance/inductance feedback circuit between the spark plug and ground that will cause the spark to fire multiple times after the initial spark. The longer duration spark is said to improve the combustion event, burning the fuel/air mixture more completely. This, in theory, should release more energy in the form of increased torque."

IBOOSTER
"The concept is, the gap in the device forces the coil voltage to have to rise higher than it would of to just fire off the plug. ...this also 'compresses' the spark energy somewhat, making for a shorter duration spark."

Both have interesting concepts, but opposite. Strange...
I can see how a more intense spark could promote complete burn. And I can see how a lengthened spark could cause a more complete burn.
When an engine has a large piston face, they can use 2 spark plugs. This creates 2 flame fronts that meet in the middle and give a smoother push on the crankshaft. Two flame fronts also means more complete fuel combustion, or more power is released. (In aviation, it's a saftey thing)

I say buy whatever you want. I like little trick items on my bikes, makes me feel warm inside...

Here is some actual information on the subject.

PowerNow
"Mounted into the backside/airboot side of the carburetor, the PowerNow, slices the single air venturi going into the carburetor into 2 smaller, faster, venturis via the PowerNow’s ‘Power Plate’. The trademarked revolutionary Power Plate assists the vacuum of the fast moving air by drawing the fastest moving air molecules through a precisely positioned hole in the plate, drastically increasing the speed of the top and bottom venturis entering the cylinder. With this modification, the result is volumetric engine efficiency through uncompromised airflow velocity."

I can see how this could work to benefit smaller throttle openings, as intake diameter is less crucial under 1/2 throttle.
But once you get it over 1/2 throttle, technically this "plate" would be directly in the airflow. I think this would be a detriment to an already choked-up stock intake boot when air/fuel volume is most crucial.(WFO)

Spark plug boosters
PLASMA
"The Plasma Booster sets up a capacitance/inductance feedback circuit between the spark plug and ground that will cause the spark to fire multiple times after the initial spark. The longer duration spark is said to improve the combustion event, burning the fuel/air mixture more completely. This, in theory, should release more energy in the form of increased torque."

IBOOSTER
"The concept is, the gap in the device forces the coil voltage to have to rise higher than it would of to just fire off the plug. ...this also 'compresses' the spark energy somewhat, making for a shorter duration spark."

Both have interesting concepts, but opposite. Strange...
I can see how a more intense spark could promote complete burn. And I can see how a lengthened spark could cause a more complete burn.
When an engine has a large piston face, they can use 2 spark plugs. This creates 2 flame fronts that meet in the middle and give a smoother push on the crankshaft. Two flame fronts also means more complete fuel combustion, or more power is released. (In aviation, it's a saftey thing)

I say buy whatever you want. I like little trick items on my bikes, makes me feel warm inside...

Huh... I don't understand it so it must be magic

thanks for the great info

It all makes sense, I guess the only way to find out is to try it for your self. You can read and read but the only way to learn is to get down and dirty and do it yourself.