Should I race without tear-offs?

Welp, this is it. The greatest disappointment ever. It's Saturday, 9pm. My race is tomorrow morning at 8am, and the track is the wettest and muddiest that it could possibly be. It's been raining all day, temp at 40 degrees, air very moist.

And my tear-offs haven't arrived.

It's too late for hardware stores, too. No one is open at this hour. I can't go and buy any thin clear plastic sheets for even makeshift ones.

I've been preparing for this race all week, and desperately want to race. But I fear it will be completely pointless without a way to keep my goggles clean. Should I risk it, spend the $75, and race? Or wait until next weekend? I'll also be behind in points if I don't race this one, but if I get last place because of not being able to see, does it matter?

Have you ever raced without tear-offs in water, mud, and rain? Have you ever been in a similar situation, and what did you do?

+1 with Cleonard... Bike people love helping other bike people especially at the races... Usually there are bike shops and local sales reps on hand at the races to help promote products as well.... This happens at all levels of racing too.
Good luck and enjoy your day :thumb:

Well I'm late to the party so I won't offer my goggle prep, but did you make it out and how did it go?

And yes, I have raced in all the conditions mentioned without tear-offs or roll-offs.

James

Staff member
The moto community is very tight knit and always helps each other out. In the future just ask around someone will most likely either give you some tear-offs or loan you a set of goggles with some already on them. Perfect example of that happened today, a buddy broke part of his front brake in practice and needed a complete front brake setup to fix it. The parts vendors didn't have any so he asked around and found another family that was able to pull one off of their backup bike. :thumb:

/Side note: In really muddy races goggles are usually not used.

Hey I just wanna pitch one more idea for next time. Wipe rain-x on your lens every time you go out, but it has to be rain-x brand, only stuff that won't mess up your goggles/work well

Hey I just wanna pitch one more idea for next time. Wipe rain-x on your lens every time you go out, but it has to be rain-x brand, only stuff that won't mess up your goggles/work well
rain -x supposedly brittles lexan. A better solution is to use pledge furniture polish.

Ive used Pledge on the wind screen of some of the race aircraft. It works pretty good with the bugs. But Im not sure about mud.