Should I buy this

http://altoona.craigslist.org/snw/4949088641.html
I'm going to take a look at this dirtbike tomorrow and from the pictures it looks like the clutch lever is broken off. I'm not sure how much to offer him or what to look for when going to look at it
Didn't see this. For me the 2001 was the best year until 2005. A runner is worth a thousand easily.

Remove the pipe and side cover. Look into the exhaust port and see if the piston shows score marks. Rotate the flywheel rotor and take a look at the ring. If you have dark carbon extending more than 5/8" below the ring, you have blow by and the top end needs help. With a pen light you can see lots. Lean over the bike and grip the rotor and pull up hard. Push down hard. If it moves the slightest bit, the bearing is bad at least. An indicator you need a new rod and bearings. Makes it a rolling basket case. Still worth 8 if it runs.

Sprockets and suspension bushings and bearings are next. Put it on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground. I lift the wheel up and feel and watch for play in the linkage and wheel. Wiggle it from side to side, feeling and looking for play.

If all that is pretty solid I would go 1k happily. Oh, if it reliably starts first kick. Take a look at the plug. It will look black and kind of oily. It starts and leaves that oil because it is running too rich. If you can start it and turn the choke off and ride away easily in 10-15 seconds it will prove my point. Just something to nicely bring up " do you know why it's running so rich?" "How long since the cylinder was replated"? Then make your offer.

Last edited:
lol, learn to set the float and you will find a couple of hp right off the bat. like i said, it was my favorite of the steel framed ones. and you will be so much happier with it for that price than you would have been with the honda for 1000 if the conditions are close.