Shop lights

As some you may have noticed, most things higher tech than a stick and a rock give me nervous indigestion so, I have a question for any of you handy guys (and no Mike, I'm not interested in how that little Black Smidge was giving a "handy" to Jr. Johnny Holmes). So my question is this - I just replaced all the fluorescent bulbs in my shop and two of them take forever to get bright???? Anyone know what causes that? By the way, it's pissing out right now and my roof is leaking - good grief, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none at all. Thanks in advance for advice. :cheers:

The wires to the lights are to narrow, thus creating a restriction in the wires. Then the electricity takes too long to get to the bulbs. Basically the bulbs take too long too fill up with electricity, and this causes the lights to come on slowly. Vern learned me all I know bout electricity.

image.jpg

Disconnect the light fixture. Remove from ceiling and promptly toss it into the scrap parts bin. Then install new fixture. Freakin ballist cost as much as the entire fixture most of the time.
I know that when I build my next garage I will be using auto body shop lights. They broadcast the light and almost as good as natural sunlight.

These are all excellent suggestions Nedge. I give them all eleventy hundred roost points. Now if it was me, I would determine if the lights we are talking about are the newer electronic ballast T8 fixtures, or the old 1 1/2" bulb, T12 magnetic ballasts. If they are the T12's, throw those bitches away. Once it drops below fifty degrees, the magnetic ballast lights won't work, plus they are energy hogs anyway. If they are already T8's, or T5's(which I doubt), switch the ballasts like MK says. If you can work on a modern 4 stroke, you can take care of two screws, and some wires. Just make sure the light switch is ON when you start, You're welcome in advance for this valuable bit o0f info I just spewed.:thumb:

These are all excellent suggestions Nedge. I give them all eleventy hundred roost points. Now if it was me, I would determine if the lights we are talking about are the newer electronic ballast T8 fixtures, or the old 1 1/2" bulb, T12 magnetic ballasts. If they are the T12's, throw those bitches away. Once it drops below fifty degrees, the magnetic ballast lights won't work, plus they are energy hogs anyway. If they are already T8's, or T5's(which I doubt), switch the ballasts like MK says. If you can work on a modern 4 stroke, you can take care of two screws, and some wires. Just make sure the light switch is ON when you start, You're welcome in advance for this valuable bit o0f info I just spewed.:thumb:

I forgot about that part. You need to leave the power on so you know its on. :eek:

When you figure it all out, I am sure we will all get a :finger: Thanks you!

I forgot about that part. You need to leave the power on so you know its on. :eek:

When you figure it all out, I am sure we will all get a :finger: Thanks you!

When I need to work on the electricity (which is rare that "I" do it...) I turn off that portion of the house. my friend the electrician laughs and asks if he should call the county to turn off our portion of the grid JUST TO PLAY IT SAFE!!! I said PLEASE DO, I'd feel much better about it....... Bzzzzzt.... I hate that sound!