Saving a cylinder?

Hello, first post here.

I'm currently working on a Suzuki PV "monkey" bike. 1992 year model, 50cc air cooled 2 stroke, road legal. Really fun lil bike. I've owned it for maybe 3 years, used to ride it quite a lot.
Just this winter I decided to tear it down and fix it up because it was getting pretty worn out. Still worked great though!

I've just recently gotten the engine back together with brand new crank, seals, bearings, clutch plates etc., the whole bottom end.
Also started to reassemble and clean the rest of the bike.

The cylinder I'm planning to use is a big bore 50mm (74cc) that's been properly
ported by someone (the person I bought it from). Portjob looks great yadiyada cylinder is in good shape but the issue is it's got a small sized tear in it. According to the person I bought it from a piston pin clip loosened and it promptly seized the piston but only a small tear on the cylinder wall.
I'll post pics later.

But with just guessing, how could I fix this? Obviously I've thought of honing it, but the tear is a little deeper than just a surface scratch. Is it possible to hone/bore a cylinder maybe half a millimeter, with just a honing drill?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the text wall haha.

The cylinder is cast iron btw so no need for a nicasil replating

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome! Let's see a few photos of this road hog!!!
Hone can only do so much.
On a steel cylinder, I have a shop bore it to the new piston size. They sell them in half mm increments usually.
My local shop is $50 and they do a great job. -BIG DAN:thumb:

H
Welcome! Let's see a few photos of this road hog!!!
Hone can only do so much.
On a steel cylinder, I have a shop bore it to the new piston size. They sell them in half mm increments usually.
My local shop is $50 and they do a great job. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Here's a picture from last summer! :smirk:
Snapchat-1404350483.jpg
And this it how it looks as of now, starting to assemble it!
Snapchat-312108624.jpg

Oh, and I live in a small town in Finland, so there's really no good shops nearby. Closest one is probably 60 km's away, so that's not on the top on my list.

Check out the ports on this badboy!
12-15hp should be possible with the right exhaust and a (only) 20mm carb.
And yes the cylinder is pretty dirty lolSnapchat-296628587.jpg Snapchat-684526000.jpg

Repairable from local shop

Send a new piston and it will be matched to perfection.

Edited for relevance to location.

Last edited:
Repairable from PowerSealUSA.com
60 weld
199 re-plate
Shipping both ways.
Send a new piston and it will be matched to perfection.
No thanks, shipping to USA from Finland would probably make me broke. Lol. And as I stated previously, it's a cast iron cylinder, so no replating needed.

SRAD97750

Staff member
If you can feel ANY of those scratches in the cylinder, a re-bore and new oversized piston/rings is an absolute must.
From the photos alone, I know from experience, that cylinder is toast and needs machine work.
My local machine shop is 90km away and worth every cent driving and the $50 for a perfect bore/hone job to the new oversized piston specifications.
There is no way around it. -BIG DAN:thumb:

No thanks, shipping to USA from Finland would probably make me broke. Lol. And as I stated previously, it's a cast iron cylinder, so no replating needed.
He didn't read the thread, just getting his post count up. :smirk:

Then Langcourt is your go to as they are still worldwide, just lost rep in the US.

-BIG DAN:thumb:
He didn't read the thread, just getting his post count up. :smirk:
Skimmed over it, and didn't care about location, it is repairable for either. You can plate cast iron.
But Dan, you get me up. :gayfight:

If I was trying that, I would have quoted you separately.