Running too rich still?

Hey guys, ive recently re jetted and it still looks like its running too rich. Before the bike wouldent even wind out on top end it was so rich (would just bog and blow blue smoke) but now it winds out minty. I changed my stock main jet from a 178 to a 175. My bike is an 01 yz 250. Here is a video of it. The bike was cold when i took the video. Also the smoke looks alot more bluer in real life. The pilot is a 50 and the power jet is a 50 too, and theyre stock. My air screw is 1 turn out from slightly seated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SmQ_YZij8#t=25

First make sure you are mixing the fuel oil mixture at least 32:1. Or even 36:1. Turn the air screw out 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out from lightly seated. This will lean out the idle circuit. What position is the needle clip in? How may notches from the top? Try putting it in the third notch from the top. If it is there already leave it. I hope this helps you.

First make sure you are mixing the fuel oil mixture at least 32:1. Or even 36:1. Turn the air screw out 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out from lightly seated. This will lean out the idle circuit. What position is the needle clip in? How may notches from the top? Try putting it in the third notch from the top. If it is there already leave it. I hope this helps you.

I am mixing 32:1 and im not sure about the needle. I never really learnt much about carbs. The only knowledge of carbs that i have is from my sled. Also is the air screw the same as the idol screw?

I am mixing 32:1 and im not sure about the needle. I never really learnt much about carbs. The only knowledge of carbs that i have is from my sled. Also is the air screw the same as the idol screw?
No the air screw has nothing to do with the idle screw. I would leave the main jet at 175. Then turn the air screw out say 2 turns from lightly seated. You should also check the needle clip position. Normally it is best at the 3rd from the top.

Last edited:
No the air screw has nothing to do with the idle screw. I would leave the main jet at 175. Then turn the air screw out say 2 turns from lightly seated. You should also check the needle clip position. Normally it is best at the 3rd from the top.

Okay will try it out. thanks

Looks normal too me... Run the piss out of it a little bit and see gets better and better.
Once you run it hard enough for a bit you may see smoke still coming out of the exhaust after you shut it off. That's normal.

Looks normal too me... Run the piss out of it a little bit and see gets better and better.
Once you run it hard enough for a bit you may see smoke still coming out of the exhaust after you shut it off. That's normal.

but the plugs keep comming out failed? I asked my dad to get me gas and he got me regular 87 octane instead of 91 that i usually run. Could that be why?

No worries. :thumb:

Let's get you squared away with your bike.

I just took my plug out and it was just a little bit wet with black oily substance and when i touched threads it wiped right off. My air screw was turned all the way in so i just backed it off 1 and 1/2 turns. Ill start it up in a few

I just took my plug out and it was just a little bit wet with black oily substance and when i touched threads it wiped right off. My air screw was turned all the way in so i just backed it off 1 and 1/2 turns. Ill start it up in a few

You really need to ride it hard 1st. Clean out all the crap inside the power valves and pipe. Being 1.5 turns out will help. Of you adjust the air screw while it runs and the idle improves after more than 2 turns of the air screw you need a leaner pilot.