Amatuer Rough Weekend at the Parker 250

Well this weekend was the first race of the Best In The Desert racing series and it was brutal. I have never been a part of the Best in the Desert series so all of this was new to me. I drove down friday night and I must say Vegas to Parker is the LONGEST 3 hour drive I have ever made in my life. I didn't think I was ever going to get there. Once I made it I met up with my team and we grabbed a bite to eat and went over our race strategy.

We are building a bike to race this series but we weren't able to get it done for this race. So we used one of the teammates Honda CRF 250. So our goal was to just finish. We decided that since it has been a while since any of the three riders have raced we were going to switch off at every pit stop. That way we could keep the riders fresh. The first pit was 27 miles from the start line and the second pit was 53 miles from the first pit. The course was very high speed with a lot of whoops and rocks. After we hammered out the pit strategy we all called it an early night and got some sleep since we were going to have to get up at 3:30 the next morning.

The next morning came and we all met at the truck to go stake out our spot at the main pit area. Once we got out there we loaded up our truck for the alternate pit and sent them on their way so they could pick out a nice spot. After our crew had left it was time to get the bike fired and off to the line. Well that is easier said then done when it is 25 degrees outside. We had jetted the bike a little fat so we could try and keep it cool during the race. Well we didn't think it was going to be so cold so after about 15 minutes of kicking we got the bike fired and warmed up. Once it was running we all agreed that it was to fat and we went back down on the main jet.

Once we got the bike ironed out and we were all comfortable with it we loaded it up in the truck to take it to the start line. Once at the starting line the nerves started to build. I was more nervous being on the pit crew then I was actually riding. I snapped a photo of our boy at the start line.
Dalton.JPG

The first leg of the race was good for us. Our boy rode hard but ended up getting lost and losing 7 minutes to the guy behind us. He handed off the bike at the alternate pit and then we started having bike problems. The packing started coming apart and the bike was bogging down as the muffler was becoming clogged. Once the packing came out of the pipe the bike was running like a raped ape. Our second rider brought the bike to the main put where I was at. We fueled up the bike and did a once over. Everything looked good so we sent our boy on his way. He was able to get 5 minutes back on the bike in front of us. When he showed up to the alternate pit the head pipe was GONE. We had a spare but it was at my pit which was about an hour from the alternate pit. This pretty much ruined our chance for a good finishing spot.

We just kept it steady the rest of the race and were able to bring it to the finish line. Here is a picture at the finish.

Davidatfinishline.JPG

All in all it was a good race for us we did what we set out to do and that was finish.

dang i was there i had no idea that you were racing!! i saw you finish too! next time you need to let people know your racing! good job though :thumb: it was freaking cold in the morning!

dang i was there i had no idea that you were racing!! i saw you finish too! next time you need to let people know your racing! good job though :thumb: it was freaking cold in the morning!

I was in such a scramble to help with the bike I didn't have time for this. It sucks I would have liked to put a name to a face. What were you doing there? helping Pit or Watching?

:thumb: Thanks for sharing this event with us. Sounds like you accomplished what you wanted and took back some valuable info for the next race. I remember all the BITD races I did years ago and it sure has changed. I would love to throw my leg over a scooter and do another one of these, but I am old dude now and I do not think they have a Dinosaur class. :smirk:

:thumb: Thanks for sharing this event with us. Sounds like you accomplished what you wanted and took back some valuable info for the next race. I remember all the BITD races I did years ago and it sure has changed. I would love to throw my leg over a scooter and do another one of these, but I am old dude now and I do not think they have a Dinosaur class. :smirk:

You old desert guys cant fool me. Some of the fastest guys I have ridden with are 50+. You should go for it. I would have ridden but the three guys we have are a whole lot faster than me. Plus I like pitting and prepping that is where I should be.

It looks like Best in the Desert gave us 34th Overall. Plus a 5 minute penalty for course Deviation. Not sure where that happened, but it is what it is.

I was in such a scramble to help with the bike I didn't have time for this. It sucks I would have liked to put a name to a face. What were you doing there? helping Pit or Watching?
i was just watching. i went to parker to help quadtard do some house work plus catch the race.

It looks like Best in the Desert gave us 34th Overall. Plus a 5 minute penalty for course Deviation. Not sure where that happened, but it is what it is.
:thumb: Good finish.
5 minute penalty for course Deviation. Not sure where that happened, but it is what it is.
Didn't you say "Our boy rode hard but ended up getting lost". Maybe that is were the penalty a cured?:noidea: BITD has eyes everywhere out there. That is why they can hold races where they do, they work real close with the BLM.

:thumb: Good finish.
Didn't you say "Our boy rode hard but ended up getting lost". Maybe that is were the penalty a cured?:noidea: BITD has eyes everywhere out there. That is why they can hold races where they do, they work real close with the BLM.

Could be. But they said it happened on the first section of the second lap... Dunno. We finished that is all that matters.

Here is a race report done by my friend. He was the owner of the bike and one of the riders.

Post Race

The Parker 250 is held in one of the most unique and diverse deserts that I have ever raced in. The terrain is constantly changing and keeping you on your toes. It varies from wide open high speed roads, to smooth flowing washes and onto deep sand with hidden boulders. Best in the Desert did an amazing job marking the course and ensuring riders safety throughout the course. It was definitely one of the most challenging races that we have competed in.

Tech Inspection / Riders Meeting

We arrived in Parker on Friday January 11th for tech inspection and the riders meeting. When we pulled into the Blue Water Resort and we were greeted by the familiar site of race rigs in the parking lot. After signing the final paperwork in registration we headed out to tech in the parking lot. It was great to see the top riders like David Pearson and Robby Bell showing up. The tech inspection was filled with excitement as the teams were going over final preparations and strategies. We made it through tech without a hitch and headed into the riders meeting.

Race Day

The morning started early at 3:30 am as we started getting prepared for staging. We wanted to get to the pits early to get a good pit position. A priority was getting the bike started and warmed up. The cold weather and four stroke engines do not get along. After a few kicks the bike was fired up and running. We had planned on running a 175 main jet in the bike but once we started the bike we found that it was way too much. Brock at Powersport Junkie helped us knock out a record time jet change to a 172 main. It was much better and crisp. We got the bike to the staging area were Dalton Porter was waiting to start the race.

We had a great starting position of 1st in class and 16th overall out of a starting grid of 130 plus teams. At 0736 hours, Dalton took off the line with a great sense of urgency. It was his first race back in two years after recovering from two major knee surgeries. By the time he hit the first corner, we knew he was back in the groove. He took off into the cold morning desert leaving nothing but a cloud of dust behind him.

At 0810 hours Dalton arrived at the second pit at 27 miles. He had lost the course and had to find his way back on track. Aaron Trujillo jumped on the bike for the next 53 mile stretch. This section of the course was filled with everything from wide open power line roads to huge trophy truck woops with hidden rocks.

Aaron made it to the second pit to hand the bike off to me. As soon as he started coming towards the pit, I could hear that we were having exhaust problems. The packing sounded like it was completely blown out. I jumped on the bike and took off. The bike felt strong. I was able to catch three teams pretty fast within the first 10 miles of the section. As I was going through one of the many washes, I could hear the engine get really loud. It sounded like the head pipe was cracked. The power became really unpredictable by cutting in and out at the least opportune moments.

I made it to the midway point where Brian was waiting to fuel the bike. He took one look at the pipe and shook his head. As I killed the motor he told me that the head pipe was gone. He quickly took over and called the main pit to get the spare head pipe coming to us. The problem was that they had a 40 minute drive time from pit 1 to pit 2. It was very frustrating because we had a great pace going, but this is desert racing and we still had 130 miles to go to the finish. Brian kept Dalton and I focused on getting a finish to salvage points as it was the first race of the season.

The spare head pipe showed up and we were able to get the bike running again only to find that the silencer was coming apart internally. We made the decision to just run it to see if we could make it to the finish. Dalton took off with a very loud obnoxious bike. We made it through the second lap and headed out for the third lap.

I jumped back on the bike at the midway of lap 3. At mile 210, I came across Colton Gubler on the 330 bike was helping a quad rider who had crashed. Medical personnel showed up and told us to take off. Colton caught me about 8 miles later and passed me. It was fun that we were able to race so late in the day. Colton had suffered through the day with a damaged radiator. We were able to make a run into the finish.

Looking back on the race, I realize that we had a number of challenges and successes for our first big race of the season. We proved that we have the speed to run with the top teams in the series. We were ridding an 8 year old bike that was what some would call rather clapped out; I prefer to call it well used. The team did an amazing job of keeping the riders’ heads in the game even during the course of adversity. I will never use Fly Racing exhaust packing ever again. The silencer had been rebuilt prior to this race. I think that the packing blew out and the vibration caused the titanium head pipe to crack and ultimately break. Building on the experience, titanium silencers are great for saving weight and they are best used for supercross and motocross. The stainless steel have more strength but weigh a little more. I will be running a stainless steel pipe from now on.

I have to thank everyone who came to the race that made everything possible. Brock with Powersport Junkie showed up and provided support during the prerace preparations and during pit efforts. Brian and my dad for keeping the bike together to finish the 250 mile race. Dalton and Aaron for ridding hard and dealing with bike issues. The next race is in Laughlin on January 22nd and 23rd. We will be on a new bike. We will keep you posted through prep and during the race. Thank you everyone. Please drive safe and buckle up!

:thumb: Great race report PSJ. Tell David he did a nice job. 2nd in class (250E) is great. I see that Anna Cody is the team to beat. She is a fast rider. I raced with her years ago when she was the W1 in D37. If you did not have the issues you had, you probably would have been racing it out or collecting that 1st place trophy. Great job to you for the support and the race team. Good luck at the next event.