Rock or Obstacle Fixation

Not so sure the track guys have to worry about this much but for us desert guys this is something you must learn not to do very quickly or you could wind up in a lot of trouble.

I have always had a problem with Fixating on objects on the trail. I see a big rock and I stare at it so I know not to hit it and then WHAMM :crash: square wheel because I plowed that rock I told my self not to hit. I have always asked myself why this happens. Well my friends it is called Rock Fixation. If you stare at it chances are you are going to hit it.

Most fast guys look at least two corners ahead. Even in the nasty rocky stuff. WHY? So they have less of a chance to get fixated on a obstacle. Also when your speed picks up and you are going faster what is the point at looking down at your fender. If this is when you first see something it is going to be game over anyways. So something I have been trying to do is look WAY up ahead. This way I can be ready for what is coming my way.

Here is a video I put together of our ride today. This is what you are not suppose to do. Don't let the angle of the camera think I was looking at my fender. I hit something earlier in the day and tried to adjust it back while riding and I adjusted it to far. Anyways check out the video and learn from my mistakes.

James

Staff member
While we don't have rocks to fixate on, we do have ruts and the same technique applies. Every person new to ruts always has issues until they learn to look up and not fixate. Heck this applies to everything, I remember being taught you go where you look while snowboarding. :thumb:

DSC_0595.jpg

While we don't have rocks to fixate on, we do have ruts and the same technique applies. Every person new to ruts always has issues until they learn to look up and not fixate. Heck this applies to everything, I remember being taught you go where you look while snowboarding. :thumb:

View attachment 12123
I give you 1/2 roost for excellent advice and another 1/2 roost for posting a pic of beautiful ruttage :thumb:

Not so sure the track guys have to worry about this much but for us desert guys this is something you must learn not to do very quickly or you could wind up in a lot of trouble.

I have always had a problem with Fixating on objects on the trail. I see a big rock and I stare at it so I know not to hit it and then WHAMM :crash: square wheel because I plowed that rock I told my self not to hit. I have always asked myself why this happens. Well my friends it is called Rock Fixation. If you stare at it chances are you are going to hit it.

Most fast guys look at least two corners ahead. Even in the nasty rocky stuff. WHY? So they have less of a chance to get fixated on a obstacle. Also when your speed picks up and you are going faster what is the point at looking down at your fender. If this is when you first see something it is going to be game over anyways. So something I have been trying to do is look WAY up ahead. This way I can be ready for what is coming my way.

Here is a video I put together of our ride today. This is what you are not suppose to do. Don't let the angle of the camera think I was looking at my fender. I hit something earlier in the day and tried to adjust it back while riding and I adjusted it to far. Anyways check out the video and learn from my mistakes.

I just said that this weekend where I look at a rock I try to avoid it but my bike has a fricking rock magnet on it somewhere... :bonk:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Don't not look where you wouldn't want to stay away from. It's hazardous.:smirk:

On a serious note. I love the video. And it is a good message.:thumb: Brock!