RM250 Rm250 idle Troubles

Hey guys,

A month or so ago i purchased a second hand rm250, since then i have had the carbi cleaned out in a ultra sonic cleaner, new spark plugs, fresh fuel, but when i was trail riding the other day i noticed when i was going downhill and i needed to brake pretty hard (i was always holding the clutch in while braking) that my bike would either try to stall unless i gave it more throttle, or it would stall.

would anyone have any ideas how to fix this, i cant get my head around this carbi and its got a idle adjuster on the choke aswell, cheers.

image of carbi attached.

What yr RM? 97?

1, did you set the float?
2 how fresh is the motor?
3 replace those breather hoses and fuel lines
4 is running at idle the only problem? Hard starting, bogging, choking or knocking an issue?
5 picture of the spark plug please along with the mix ratio and premix oil used.

Thanks for the reply, it’s a 2001, breather hoses have been ordered yesterday, got new spark plugs to go, putting one in tomorrow, mix ratio is 45:1, no knocking issues it idles fine when first started, then once riding wants to stall when hitting brakes unless I rev it then it will idle, top end is 12 hours old, cheers

I got it idling perfect in neutral for ages then I went for a scoot and applied the back brakes hard when holding the clutch and it didn’t stall for 2 times but after that it started stalling. Maybe a new carbie or a new clutch cable and lever? (Float was fine and the needle valve was not worn)

I got it idling perfect in neutral for ages then I went for a scoot and applied the back brakes hard when holding the clutch and it didn’t stall for 2 times but after that it started stalling. Maybe a new carbie or a new clutch cable and lever? (Float was fine and the needle valve was not worn)

I misread originally and thought it was an idling in Nuetral issue. Dan and Steve are correct. Clutch is dragging so adjust as needed. The plates May also be warped or the basket and hub notched.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Just adjust the cable a little tighter.
As an engine warms up the idle drops, which makes it easier to stall in gear.
-BIG DAN:thumb: