Rm 125 what bore/piston is this

Hey I have a 96 rm 125 and it needs a top end. The rings say n-100 and the piston is stamped 2488a. I can't read the numbers in the middle except the first two are g4 and the two are 0a. Any ideas???

No I don't. I'm in south Florida and everywhere around here are a rip off. Does anyone know somewhere I could ship the head to get bored or honed

So first I don't know where the best place would be to ship it but I believe your talking about cylinder honing, not head work which really isn't done on a cylinder like yours as it is a plated cylinder and needs to be replated, instead of honed or bored, you also should be looking for around 250- 275$ if you send in a stripped down cylinder. and I mean stripped, no studs , vents, power valve parts, cause they'll charge ya extra. hopefully you'll find someone to take care of ya though.

Calipers are cheap. Under 30 dollars for ones that are digital and read out to 6 inches. Every auto parts chain Sells them.

Honing the plated cylinder is quite common. Like the calipers the hone is pretty reasonable. You can do a decent job of measuring the wear on the bore by moving the ring down the bore as you measure (and do the math). You can keep the ring pretty sq in the bore with the piston.

I ordered some calipers. Any idea on what specs will need what rings? I guess I'll measure the piston and then the cylinder and report back.
Yes, first measure your cylinder. if it is in good shape plating wise and in spec bore wise then you're good to go there. Slide a ring up and down the cylinder using a filler gauge to measure ring gap. Your manual will tell you where your specs should be. If you don't have a manual. You'll need one pronto like :prof:

I just realized the calipers I ordered are in china so I'm trying to cancel the order and get one from harbor freight. Let you know the specs of the cylinder. Thank you!

You can't really measure the part of the cylinder that wears with calipers. You can measure the piston though. Honest, I wouldn't suggest using a piston ring, slid down the bore to measure with if the wear was going to be evident on the ends of the cylinder.

And now if you look down the cylinder you can probably see that you didn't measure the part of the cylinder that the rings ride on, did you?

You can measure the cylinder with caliper to determine the bore but not if it is in spec. Like I said and Ossagp said you'll need a set of rings and filler gauge to measure for spec. just measure ring gap. your manual should tell you what the ring gap tolerance should be.

If you don't have a manual you can place the ring at the top of the bore or as I like to, right where the transfer area openings end. Square it up with the piston, and measure the end gap. Slide the ring down the bore using the piston. Keep measuring until you get the widest ring gap. Remember the formula for figuring circumferences. See how much wear you have in comparison to the virtually unworn part of the cylinder. Decide to plate or not based on that and the condition of the plating above the exhaust port(s) and transfers.