All Rincon!

Got a email from Chris Horgan. It looks like they are going to clear the Rincon trail. I won't be going, but if you're a bad ass, I'm sure they could use your help.

Stewards of the Sequoia Trail Alert
Dear Tim
As someone who has volunteered in the past or told us that you want to help I thought you would want to know about this extraordinary opportunity to
RESCUE THE GREAT RINCON TRAIL
The Rincon is a destination trail with great views and some terrific sections weaving in amongst Oak groves. While it has been designated as open to all uses including dirt bikes and mountain bikes, it might as well be closed because it has become impassable due to heavy brush and numerous downed trees. We need six or so volunteers to work with the two Forest Service trail crew this Saturday. With a good crew we should be able to get the whole project done in one day, get some good riding in and have a good time putting some love back into the Rincon trail.
Please respond to this email and confirm no later than Friday morning so we know how many volunteers will help and can order lunch for you.
Looks like the weather should be perfect with cool temps and sun.
RESCUE THE RINCON TRAIL-Volunteers Needed this Saturday
WHEN this Saturday 12/10/2011-High Intermediate with some expert technical single track sections
WHERE Meet before 9:00am where the Rincon trail crosses Sherman Pass Road at the pullout on the left
GPS 35 58.59.45 118 27.33.86
DIRECTIONS-Take 178 to Kernville and then left on Mountain 99 north about 20 minutes to hard right on Sherman Pass Road then about 5 miles to where Rincon crosses Sherman Pass Road.
NOTE Sherman Pass Road is closed from the 395 Ridgecrest side
PROJECT will start about 6 and 9 miles in from the trailhead and continue to the end of the trail. You will be helping to throw the cut brush off the trail (swamping) and moving cut sections of downed trees.

TOOLS AND BIKE SETUP-All tools will be provided, but please be sure you have the basic gear including your dirt bike (geared down for technical riding) and riding gear to access the trail, as well as water, work gloves, backpack, hat and sunglasses.

It is a good idea to air down your rear tire to no more than 10 pounds for better traction. We will not be going very fast and there are no whoops.
If you are going to put on a new tire then the Pirrelli MT43 trials tire will make the trail much easier. http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/Ultimate_trail_tire.html
Put about 2 gallons of fuel in your bike as we will be going no more than 30 miles, probably less. DO NOT fill up your tank as the added weight will just be tiring for you. Bring a large back pack too if you have one. You can bring any portable tools you might have such as folding saw, clippers. Forest Service will supply additional tools.

LUNCH- A really great lunch will be provided by Sierra Gateway Market for those who respond to this email and confirm that they are coming no later than early morning on Wednesday 11/9
CAMPING-You can camp out at the free campsite next to the Rincon at the Brush Creek campsite (Dirt Road exits Sherman Pass Road . From Kernville go north on Mountain 99 to Sherman Pass Road, go right on Sherman Pass Rd more than a mile & Brush Creek is the first right possible, then go about a 1/2 mile off of Sherman Pass road on the right down the hill on a dirt road to the campsite at Brush Creek. Brush Creek site is unimproved, no facilities at all, but around 12 med size trailers or motorhomes will easily fit .The site is located right in the trail, BUT WE ARE MEETING ON SHERMAN PASS ROAD WHERE RINCON TRAIL CROSSES THE ROAD. Campfires ok unless something changes. Nice Motels available in Kernville, approx 30 miles (1 hour away). Closest market of any kind is McNallys Roads End package store, about ten miles away Great steakhouse/bar too
You can find info about camping and more at
http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/Camping_info.html

You can also reach me if needed at 760 223-2366

Thanks for helping keep your trails open.
If you have friends coming with you please confirm with me and provide their name, phone & email so we can plan the crew.
Please have them fill out a Stewards member form
http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/membership.php

If I had a bike that worked I'd be all over it.

I thought of you when I read this. I wish I could make it also, and since I've never been on it, a nice slow, 1 MPH ride, would be just about my speed.

same here... don't want this to be her first trip out either just in case. Sounds like they're pretty serious about the terrain...lol

It is THE trail up there. Someday I'll get it done.

seems like all these good volunteer stuff is always so far from me :(

i asked about stuff like this down here on the San Diego area trails and the guy told me to go into the ranger station at Ocotillo Wells... :lol: :picard:

seems like all these good volunteer stuff is always so far from me :(

The back way to KM is long for everyone.:smirk:

i asked about stuff like this down here on the San Diego area trails and the guy told me to go into the ranger station at Ocotillo Wells... :lol: :picard:

They could probably get you something by you. That might be the office for your area. At the least, you could probably get on a email list.:noidea:

The back way to KM is long for everyone.:smirk:

They could probably get you something by you. That might be the office for your area. At the least, you could probably get on a email list.:noidea:

I did get a number of a dude that runs the stuff in the SD area that is not the desert. The thing is the trails here are not lots of mileage... the area IS fairly small compared to a lot of that stuff up north. Also i should be on a email list but i might not be. i should look into it a bit more.

I did get a number of a dude that runs the stuff in the SD area that is not the desert. The thing is the trails here are not lots of mileage... the area IS fairly small compared to a lot of that stuff up north. Also i should be on a email list but i might not be. i should look into it a bit more.

I'm sure the volunteer duties would be different down South. All the snow up North, brings down trees. I would imagine both are scarce down by you.:smirk:

I'm sure the volunteer duties would be different down South. All the snow up North, brings down trees. I would imagine both are scarce down by you.:smirk:

yea i think that is exactly what it is. There is snow and trees in areas but not really open to ride.

yea i think that is exactly what it is. There is snow and trees in areas but not really open to ride.

More like cleaning up the "stuff" left by the illegal aliens trekking up here blazing their own singletrack.......:devil: