Riding on the balls of your feet

this is not something I was taught to do when I started riding and as a result, I have a bad habit of standing on the back part of my foot, which results in my feet being pointed out from the motorcycle.
I saw the tip in the latest dirt rider and I've been working on it, although I do feel a lot more balanced when on the balls of my feet, especially when cornering and going through rough chop, riding this way causes the muscles in my legs to fatigue quicker, and I can't shift or tap the rear brake from this position.
so uh
am I doing it wrong?

Balls of feet are good except when jumping. You want to have your feet way up forward and keep them pointed inwards - this will allow your knees to hug your bike with your knees much better. :prof: Case a landing on the balls of your feet and, I hope, you have crutches in your trailer :prof:

Balls of feet are good except when jumping. You want to have your feet way up forward and keep them pointed inwards - this will allow your knees to hug your bike with your knees much better. :prof: Case a landing on the balls of your feet and, I hope, you have crutches in your trailer :prof:
yes, plus you want to be able to have adaquet room to brake tap and shift if you bike gets sketchy

James

Staff member
Riding on the balls of your feet is technically the correct way. Helps with your balance and also lets you ankles flex a little (soak up the chop better).

Riding on the balls of your feet will also save your knees. If you ride on the center of your feet or heels and your toes are pointed out you have a high chance of catching a rut and destroying a knee. This is even more critical it you have a larger boot because your foot hangs out further. Knee braces wont protect in this situation unless you use the anti rotation strap that only asterisks offer. Even then the rotation of the foot causing twisting of the knee is a knee KILLER.

I wasn't taught balls of the feet I was taught more point your toes in. You can grip better and save your knees. It has worked well for me but I only wear a 9 boot.