Rear wheel steering?

Can someone explain how a bike can be more of a "rear wheel steering bike" than an other. How do you rear steer a bike? I'm looking to buy my first bike and noticed some videos of people saying a bike is more of a rear wheel steering bike than an other. Thanks

If I say I am steering with the back it means that I am spinning the back wheel and letting the rear end slide out to one side. Brake works to do the same thing if you want to drop a little more speed, though in days past when we rode flattracks without brakes or speedway bikes which do not have them to this day, a good rider could literally park one by over spinning the rear tire.

Thanks guys I think I understand now. I was just confused because a comparison video mentioned how a rmz450 "front wheel steers" better than a kx450. Which the kx is "rear wheel steered". So position of the rider during corners would be different for each bike.

Also, tire and tire compound, soil, terra etc. has to do with it. Not going to get much out of a trials tire unless you have a big bore bike and can break the tire loose in a hardpack corner. To rear brake skid is to skid, to rear wheel stear is to pin it, lay it over and keep it going without scrubbing speed.

Thanks guys I think I understand now. I was just confused because a comparison video mentioned how a rmz450 "front wheel steers" better than a kx450. Which the kx is "rear wheel steered". So position of the rider during corners would be different for each bike.

Differences in rake, trail, and balance as well as more subtle things like swingarm angle, countershaft sprocket relationship to the swingarm, suspension and basic frame architecture all have a bearing on whether you will be steering any particular bike with the front or the back. the axle position makes a big difference to me.

It isn't as simple as the monthlies like to make it sound sometimes.

If you ever saw a dirttrack race of about any kind you see that the cars typically are partially sideways in a power slide. that is one kind of steering with the back. it is hard to imagine a dirttrack without that type of turning action.

Last edited:
Also, tire and tire compound, soil, terra etc. has to do with it. Not going to get much out of a trials tire unless you have a big bore bike and can break the tire loose in a hardpack corner. To rear brake skid is to skid, to rear wheel stear is to pin it, lay it over and keep it going without scrubbing speed.

Oh you scrub speed.

If I say I am steering with the back it means that I am spinning the back wheel and letting the rear end slide out to one side. Brake works to do the same thing if you want to drop a little more speed, though in days past when we rode flattracks without brakes or speedway bikes which do not have them to this day, a good rider could literally park one by over spinning the rear tire.
I don't like to get on the brakes like you guys either but its very comforting knowing they are there to bail you out. riding with out them is flat out crazy! no pun intended....

Last edited:
I have never found one particular brand of bike to be a front or rear wheel steering bike. I use both throughout depending on the situation like speed or traction.

some of them with a motor that is hard to keep hooked up become rear steer for lots of riders since you end up riding with wheelspin a lot. but like Mi, you can usually play some preload and other suspension games if you want one end biting better. first thing to do is to burn the magazine.