4 Stroke Rear springs

hey guys. My dad is on the short side (about 5`7") he has a ktm 450 xc 2006. He wants it to sit lower but with no linkage options are slim. We have cut the seat down but he wants a softer shock to sag more. Doesn't jump or race so no probs bottoming out. The shock on the bike is stock, WP80~250. Can you guys explain to me what these numbers mean and possibly a step BELOW this spring. He's around 150 to 160 lbs and static and race sag have been set

hey guys. My dad is on the short side (about 5`7") he has a ktm 450 xc 2006. He wants it to sit lower but with no linkage options are slim. We have cut the seat down but he wants a softer shock to sag more. Doesn't jump or race so no probs bottoming out. The shock on the bike is stock, WP80~250. Can you guys explain to me what these numbers mean and possibly a step BELOW this spring. He's around 150 to 160 lbs and static and race sag have been set

So the first number has to do with the spring rate, I just know the higher the number the stiffer the spring rate, I believe the 80 means it takes 80 Newtons to depress the spring 1 mm, the second number is the length of the spring, in this case 250 mm, so I would call your ktm dealer and see if they have a spring with a lower spring rate number, and possibly even a shorter spring, see what the options are and get back to me, now if there are no other lighter spring options your dad could always just start eating a sack of ding dongs a day untill he gets the sag where he wants it.

Last edited:
So the first number has to do with the spring rate, I just know the higher the number the stiffer the spring rate, I believe the 80 means it takes 80 Newtons to depress the spring 1 mm, the second number is the length of the spring, in this case 250 mm, so I would call your ktm dealer and see if they have a spring with a lower spring rate number, and possibly even a shorter spring, see what the options are and get back to me, now if there are no other lighter spring options your dad could always just start eating a sack of ding dongs a day untill he gets the sag where he wants it.
Well basically he just wants to be able to touch the ground in tight trails

You and Floyd. For year he held onto an Allison v12 that he was going to put into a 56 cadillac (had a hood almost long enough.) if he wants to give up some travel, putting a spacer inside the shock and backing off the preload mechanism may be all that is needed. just like letting it sag more, his damping will seem on the harsh side on the little stuff. having one of the shock houses adjust the damping and shorten it may be the best solution, but anyway he does it, he loses some bottoming room. cutting the spring will make it stiffer. the spacer is cheap and easy if he likes the spring he has now. remember if he dumps the back down it gets more weight put onto if the front doesn't come down a like amount.

it costs about $800 to have a KTM professionally lowered, valved and sprung-if you do the rear you need to do the front to match. I had my wife's 07 250XCFW done and it works great

there is a spring calculator on many susp dealers sites

the springs come in two lengths 250 and 260 for this series of bike. Either will fit because the preload adjuster ring has enuf space in it to make it work-Ive done it

there is also a bushing for the lower shock mount area which can lower the bike some-called the Synergy F or X bushing

some folks cut n re-weld the subframe to make the seat a little lower too

all of this info is on KTMTALK.COM