250F Rear Brakes locking up

Hello, I'm in need of help on trying to fix my 04 yz250f. I just bought the bike and about 3 laps in the rear brake locks up. turns out every time I press the brake lever the fluid pushes the piston out like it should but then the fluid just stays in the bowl and has nowhere to go. unless I open the bleeder screw and let it all out. What should I do?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome.
The hose/banjo is most likely plugged up.
Remove the hose from both ends. Blow the hose out with brake cleaner and compressed air.
Clean out the banjo fittings in similar fashion.

Reassemble and perform the most time consuming brake bleed you have ever done. This will also refresh the fluid.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome.
The hose/banjo is most likely plugged up.
Remove the hose from both ends. Blow the hose out with brake cleaner and compressed air.
Clean out the banjo fittings in similar fashion.

Reassemble and perform the most time consuming brake bleed you have ever done. This will also refresh the fluid.
Thank you!

By time consuming he means time consuming by like 8 hours. Best way I've found so far is with a vacuum bleeder and even then you will have to resort to the pump hold and bleed method to get the last little bit of air out.

By time consuming he means time consuming by like 8 hours. Best way I've found so far is with a vacuum bleeder and even then you will have to resort to the pump hold and bleed method to get the last little bit of air out.
could my mc be clogged at all? would that cause this problem as well?

SRAD97750

Staff member
could my mc be clogged at all? would that cause this problem as well?
It could be a sticking M/C piston. Remove the reservoir cap/bladder and look down into the reservoir outlet through the fluid. When you squeeze the lever and release you should see the piston 'pass by' the orifice. If the motion is the same as the lever in both directions, I doubt the M/C piston is sticking.
Spray out the banjo orifice on the M/C and that should clean out the fluid side.
Rebuild kits are cheap and easy if you want peace of mind, or if the line cleaning doesn't fix it.

It could be a sticking M/C piston. Remove the reservoir cap/bladder and look down into the reservoir outlet through the fluid. When you squeeze the lever and release you should see the piston 'pass by' the orifice. If the motion is the same as the lever in both directions, I doubt the M/C piston is sticking.
Spray out the banjo orifice on the M/C and that should clean out the fluid side.
Rebuild kits are cheap and easy if you want peace of mind, or if the line cleaning doesn't fix it.
Thank you for all your help. but I just cleaned out my line and caliper mc and everything and now when I was going to try and bleed. but fluid won't even leave the mc. Ugh!

Thank you for all your help. but I just cleaned out my line and caliper mc and everything and now when I was going to try and bleed. but fluid won't even leave the mc. Ugh!

You have to pump it like 50x and then hold it to get the fluid moving the 1st time. It will gradually take less pumps as the line fills with fluid. It's a long process.

Did you clean out the port in the "floor" of the reservoir? As in removed the piston and cleaned the port and "candled" it? If that port is plugged or partially plugged you can get brake lockup.