Other Problem with my XR 200

I have recently started to restore my father's 1984 XR 200 it starts first kick and runs with no problem for the first three minutes, then I have to switch on the Choke. The valve clearance is correct it has a new sparkplug and a clean carb, the oil ring is done but compression rings is still great. Does anybody have an idea what is wrong and how to fix it? Please help...

I have recently started to restore my father's 1984 XR 200 it starts first kick and runs with no problem for the first three minutes, then I have to switch on the Choke. The valve clearance is correct it has a new sparkplug and a clean carb, the oil ring is done but compression rings is still great. Does anybody have an idea what is wrong and how to fix it? Please help...

Based on the comment concerning the choke, I would start looking at fuel issues.you say clean carb, have you actually gone thru it and cleaned all the gunk and varnish? Was the float level checked? Is there a restriction in the fuel line, or an inline filter that’s partially restricted, another thing to check is a plugged fuel tank vent, try running it without the tank cap.... Either way it seems it’s running out of fuel as it warms up.

Based on the comment concerning the choke, I would start looking at fuel issues.you say clean carb, have you actually gone thru it and cleaned all the gunk and varnish? Was the float level checked? Is there a restriction in the fuel line, or an inline filter that’s partially restricted, another thing to check is a plugged fuel tank vent, try running it without the tank cap.... Either way it seems it’s running out of fuel as it warms up.
I have thoroughly cleaned the carb twice and checked the float and all, I also cleaned the fuel valve, and checked the fuel flows at a normal rate out of the tank, but thanks.

Does it rev out when it’s cold? Just checking your statement of “runs with no problem”
It definitely sounds fuel related.
Yes it has all the revs it should have for the first few minutes, all the power where it should be

Last edited:
Clogged up jet(s) seen it over and again. I’ve had people tell me they cleaned the carb multiple times and still won’t idle, I pull the pilot, spray solvent and jab with a .10mm wire and it idles like a champ. Dude took a video to send to his friend who hadn’t seen the bike idle in 5 years and swears he cleaned the carb. Got to be thorough.
You have a fuel problem.

..or an air leak which constitutes a fuel problem.
If you have an air leak, pulling the choke would restrict the flow of air from the intake, because air is seeping in from elsewhere. Also, if your jet circuits are in fact clear, they would be of insufficient size to compensate for the additional air. If you are throttling it a few times before kicking cold it could help to richen things up a bit and negate the need for choking it rich. After the motor warms to the stoich balance everything is out of wack, and you have to reduce the air coming in somehow. With either the air screw or the choke. Just thinking out loud, I’m no carb expert, they’re a pain in the ass. The only reason I know anything about them is because they are always demanding my attention. Fekn gas toilet.
If you run the air screw in does it get better? Same?
Plug look lean?

..or an air leak which constitutes a fuel problem.
If you have an air leak, pulling the choke would restrict the flow of air from the intake, because air is seeping in from elsewhere. Also, if your jet circuits are in fact clear, they would be of insufficient size to compensate for the additional air. If you are throttling it a few times before kicking cold it could help to richen things up a bit and negate the need for choking it rich. After the motor warms to the stoich balance everything is out of wack, and you have to reduce the air coming in somehow. With either the air screw or the choke. Just thinking out loud, I’m no carb expert, they’re a pain in the ass. The only reason I know anything about them is because they are always demanding my attention. Fekn gas toilet.
If you run the air screw in does it get better? Same?
Plug look lean?
I cleaned both jets with wire and compressed air, the idle screw is as in as it gets and we just changed the spark plug, I am gonna check everything again in a minute, clean it again, but YESS they are a pain in the ass these carbs

SRAD97750

Staff member
A lean condition, successfully band-aided by an enrichening circuit, that shows symptoms only with rising engine temperature. This leads me to believe you have an air leak at the intake boot, or it could possibly be cracked. -BIG DAN:thumb:

So
A lean condition, successfully band-aided by an enrichening circuit, that shows symptoms only with rising engine temperature. This leads me to believe you have an air leak at the intake boot, or it could possibly be cracked. -BIG DAN:thumb:
So a leak after the carburettor?

So a leak after the carburettor?
Backyard mechanic test - while engine is running, take a can of carb or brake cleaner and spray it around the carb outlet at the boot and at the head. If the engine rpms change, you know you've got a leak there.

Backyard mechanic test - while engine is running, take a can of carb or brake cleaner and spray it around the carb outlet at the boot and at the head. If the engine rpms change, you know you've got a leak there.
Thx, will do