Problem. Help!

I am repairing a 03 drz suzuki bike. The guy I bought it from messed the top end up. I tore it down and replaced a few things. Then rebuilt it but it still won't crank. Before the repairs it was getting no compression and after the repairs the compression is good but the bike won't fire. Any ideas on what else it could be?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Let's get you back on the trail FAST!
Fuel - Clean the carburetor... again... Is fuel getting to the sparkplug? It should be wet if it hasn't fired.
Air - Air filter and intake clean and unobstructed?
Spark - Are you getting strong blue spark?
Try again
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Need more info, first you say it won't crank, you mean it won't run? Because if you say you have compression I take it that the engine turns over. Does it have spark, is fuel making it into the engine ( does the plug look wet)? I would make sure I have the basics first, before I could figure where to go next.

Let's get you back on the trail FAST!
Fuel - Clean the carburetor... again... Is fuel getting to the sparkplug? It should be wet if it hasn't fired.
Air - Air filter and intake clean and unobstructed?
Spark - Are you getting strong blue spark?
Try again
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Your getting fast and fancy with your acronyms there.

The first thing i suspect anytime someone tears one down that ran previously is they they have the cam timing off. If it was off far enough you may now have a bent valve.

The quick check is that you get maximum valve clearance when the flywheel rotor is set at the mark indicating top dead center. Usually that is a "T". If you have no clearance, turn it over 360 degrees and check again, as tdc on the exhaust stroke will show the same timing mark as the compression stroke on a 4 stroke.

Assuming you already checked that motorcycle is indeed making spark at the plug and fuel is reaching the carburetor.

Last edited: