Please help with my 09 yz250f

Please can someone help me im in tears absolute tears im 17 im extremely new to dirt bikes ive wanted one since i was 10 i finally saved up enough to get myself an 09 yz250 the otherr day so im extremely new i had to teach myself how to ride from youtube videos cause i have no one to teach me having a dirt bike is my dream so for two days my bike has been hard to kick start compression is a bit soft and when i kick it the exhaust pops but doesnt start engine gets really hot lately when im riding theres a small popping sound and today i rode down the road was in 3rd and i was turning and the bike stalled stopped and started leaking oil from the bottom please help im so so upset

Please can someone help me im in tears absolute tears im 17 im extremely new to dirt bikes ivewanted one since i was 10 i finally saved up enough to get myself an 09 yz250 the otherr day so im extremely new i had to teach myself how to ride from youtube videos cause i have no one to teach me having a dirt bike is my dream so for two days my bike has been hard to kick start compression is a bit soft and when i kick it the exhaust pops but doesnt start engine gets really hot lately when im riding theres a small popping sound and today i rode down the road was in 3rd and i was turning and the bike stalled stopped and started leaking oil from the bottom please help im so so upset

Oh wow!
Not to make you even more upset.... Was it oil or was it coolant?
Honestly it doesn't sound good so how about some pics of the bike, where its dripping oil from and maybe a quick video of it trying to start.

Oh wow!
Not to make you even more upset.... Was it oil or was it coolant?
Honestly it doesn't sound good so how about some pics of the bike, where its dripping oil from and maybe a quick video of it trying to start.
The bike is off at the moment and not leaking anything and it was oil quite a bit leaked out on the road will post a video a bit scared to start it tho

The bike is off at the moment and not leaking anything and it was oil quite a bit leaked out on the road will post a video a bit scared to start it tho
Take pics of the underside of the motor.

Lay it down on its side instead of trying to squeeze underneath.

Maybe valve adjustment for the popping and hard start....the oil leak could be a countershaft seal, those make a big mess when they go bad. But like Mike said, send some pics and likewise, welcome to DBA.

can you still kick it over? if so what does it feel like?

sparkplug out, describe in detail what it looks like.

Last edited:
Funny thing is starts fine feels fine when it starts and revs but when i ride it is very small pops from the exhaust and tinging noise when riding fast but the mistake ive made was down shifting when the RPM's where too high

1yes i can kick it over 2 it feels fine can rev it fine feels like how it was when came from the dealer 3 im very sorry im really new to this i dont even know where the spark plug is on the bike

ok, you can work a computer. look that up, get a plug wrench, hit walmart and get a spark plug or two and we will talk about fouled plugs and what to do. i suspect a fuel leak more than an oil leak. palmer probably could hook you up with an online manual.

is it a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke?

I almost wanted to ask that (and should have) myself.
1yes i can kick it over 2 it feels fine can rev it fine feels like how it was when came from the dealer 3 im very sorry im really new to this i dont even know where the spark plug is on the bike

Nothing to be sorry for, but just remember: When you ask a question make sure you can flesh out some details. Two stroke or 4 stroke (yz250f) there are people on here that can help you through anything, but not being there, not knowing what a pop and a "ping" are to you vs them we are going to be asking some questions before we can go any further.

So as Mike asked, is it a two stroke or 4? can you post a picture or two etc?

I almost wanted to ask that (and should have) myself.

Nothing to be sorry for, but just remember: When you ask a question make sure you can flesh out some details. Two stroke or 4 stroke (yz250f) there are people on here that can help you through anything, but not being there, not knowing what a pop and a "ping" are to you vs them we are going to be asking some questions before we can go any further.

So as Mike asked, is it a two stroke or 4? can you post a picture or two etc?

I just found another post by this kid, same question only he added the F to it.
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/content/threads/please-help-with-my-09-yz250f.8829/
Four stroke.

Last edited: