Piece of metal broke off in crankcase Pic Included

xr 250 and this peice of metal right above the oil screen broke. will this ruin the engine and affect oil pressure or route oil to an area where its not suppose to go? help please

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 15
xr 250 and this peice of metal right above the oil screen broke. will this ruin the engine and affect oil pressure or route oil to an area where its not suppose to go? help please

What year XR????
If you have the piece and know a very very good welder it can be fixed. If he’s really good then he can probably weld a piece over it.

ill clean it but i think i can get away with not removing the gears they should be able to reach with a rod welder?

If it were me the welder would get an empty case. Take a couple of good pictures and ask your local welder. You will have to go to his shop and talk to him. Texting and email won’t work with a machinist or welder.

What actually happened to it to cause the damage? Unless you have welding experience then I doubt you'll be able to get it clean enough for a welder not to want to clean it again! Mike is right on the handing over an empty case, the dude will most likely send you packing with your cases!
Do it once and do it right, strip fix rebuild! I wouldn't fancy trying to get hold of a good set of replacement cases and anything else that goes south :banghead:
Welcome to DBA btw :wave:

I just had a case welded for a customer. Pulled the engine it was the backside of the kick start. Left engine intact and he welded it for 160.00 USD.

It also looks like it's a gasket sealing surface. If it is, it's gonna need to be machined too.
I just had a piece heli-arced on my KX. It was an external piece on the case, but still needed to be machined flat. IIRC I payed around $130.00 USD, and I drilled and tapped it.
Broken.jpg