South Phelan yesterday

Went out to Phelan yesterday and it was a cool 42 degrees when we got there, warming up later to 48. Was crowded with 1st timers and dad's taking kids out during Christmas break. Dust was very minimal which was very nice and puddles in the trail were iced over. I can see where the hand guards would come in handy as our hands froze while riding. Even with some close calls on the trails, and the clowns screaming through the staging area we had fun

Attachments

• IMG_20141227_092652075_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141227_092652075_HDR.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 11

SRAD97750

Staff member
Such a beautiful area. Hope you had a good time.
Did you get back to the new "black diamond trail" they used our green sticker dollars for this past summer?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
So in the following maps you will see the Main Fireroad that follows the ridge (Yellow), the proposed expansion (Pink) and removal of access to the unauthorized trails (Red) that have been used for decades.
I have ridden the proposed route (over a year ago), and it will be a fine addition to the trail system as long as they don't go plowing it with a tractor every weekend. I am unaware of the conditions currently.
Click on maps to expand them.

Baldy Mesa.jpg

Baldy Mesa zoom.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Even with some close calls on the trails, and the clowns screaming through the staging area we had fun
The area is very nice but every time I have attempted to ride this place I experience this same stuff and having a head on with some idiot on his quad just is not worth it to me. Seems like those type of clowns think they are always the only people out there and they have no common sense.

Yes, its very easy to get a false sense of security on the trails, like you're the only one out. I've been guilty of this as well but I try to slow around blind curves as much as possible

SRAD97750

Staff member
You know, before they wanted to close all the little red lines on the above map, I never ran into ANYBODY on those trails...
Bring us from 50+ miles of trails to ~18 fireroad miles, and you'll see some increased traffic/danger.:picard:
-BIG DAN