Injured Pete

Everyone please keep Pete in your prayers. He was badly injured racing yesterday at Shenandoah Speedway. He was racing in my class went down ahead of me as seen in the video at about 3:28. It was pretty scary not seeing him move everytime i passed by. he was airlifted to the hospital after the moto.

From his website.....

"Peter crashed his motorcycle during a motor-cross race. Shannon (his wife) was witnessing the race but did not see the accident. Peter was immediately attended to by emergency personnel on site but transported by helicopter to UVA Hospital in Charlottesville, Virginia. The early assesssment of his primary injuries was a fractured vertebrea and puctured lung. His C-6 vertebrea was shattered and replaced with a synthetic one. His has suffered a sever compression of his spinal cord. The surgery went well but he is swollen all over and very uncomfortable
Peter is recovering in ICU. His condition is stable. He has some limited use of his arms and can communicate via shaking his head 'yes' and 'no'. His breathing is still being assisted with equipment therefor he is unable to speak at this time. We are very hopeful that he will be breathing on his own soon. Unfortunately, he has not been able to move his legs yet. We are all hoping that the swelling will go down and his movements will improve. They are currently focused on getting him breathing on his own."

Here's what I can tell you.

I have rode and raced with guys who will walk again, and aren't even 20 yet. If you chose to join the life of motocross racing, at such a high and competitive level, you have to accept the fact that your life can change in a half of second, and in the end, it might not even still be there. I have learned to accept this fact racing at the level I do now, along with every other competitor lined up on either side of me. Every rider, and competitor deserves only the utter most respect to line up to the gate to do what they have dedicated their lives for. Competitive motocross is a very, very dangerous sport, as why you should always ride within what you can handle and remain fully protected and covered. I am also a very religious person, and say a long prayer before my motorcycle ever runs for the day.
Pete has made the decision to accept the dangers and compete like the rest of us, as nobody is to blame for the accident. His life though, will never be the same. It is really sad to see this kinda stuff, as I look at everyone in the sport a huge family. I'll say my prayers for him, in great hopes he makes a recovery to the fullest the accident will permit. I'm sure he is a really, really great guy.

The one thing I do leave up to question, is what in the hell were the flaggers doing. They should have placed someone at the front of the jump, as I could see a lot of riders hitting the jump unaware. I would have been seriously pissed to the point I would stop on the jump face to guard the guy. That was pure negligence on behalf of the track personnel.

Thanks for the great reply Ray. I hate to say it, but you are right about the flagers. The first time I went by nobody noticed he was down. After that they all stood after the take of the jump. Somebody could have easy taken it and land right on top of the flagger

Sorry to hear about your friend. It was little upsetting to see that you made 2 full laps and the same flagger was the only one standing by him. It was when you passed him and went around the next corner that I could see a golf cart on it's way over to where your friend was lying. Makes you want to stop racing at that facility, but then again I come from the off-road world and we can lie in the desert for a good hour or so before the rescue crew can get to you. I have experience that, but luckily it was only a dislocated hip, so not too life threatening.

CDA Family will pray for your friend's recovery.

pete.jpg
The hardest part is knowing what he is going through right now. I cant imagine what it would be like to laying in the hospitle with a swollen body, not being able to move legs, having a machine breathe for you, not be able to talk, and limited use of arms. I just cant imagine the thoughts that are going through his head. Here is a video of me riding with him afew weeks ago.

sorry for the lack of updates.
Pete has been going though alot in the last week. But great news! he now has some feling in his legs and is able to drink some things.
here is the latest post (writen by his wife)
"Pete had a great day today :-) he was off of the respirator all day and had the speaking valve on for a total of 6 hours today. His respiratory therapists were thoroughly impressed. Also, one of the neurosurgeons came by to do an assessment and said he heard Pete was making great improvements with his upper body movements so he just had to see for himself :-) AND another.confirmation that he has feeling in both legs and feet! I'm so proud of my Pita, finally I can cry some tears of joy!"

They came out after the race ended. The chopper came 30min Lator and then it took 20 min to load him up for some reason

I just now saw this thread and I hope Pete is recovering well. That track needs some serious improvements with emergency response and medical help. There is no reason that guy should have been laying there for that amount of time with a bunch of bikes racing past him as some dip shit stands over him barely holding up the caution flag. That is hard to accept.

Here is the latest post. For an fyi, Pete was moved to a different, closer to home hospitle afew days ago.
when i read "will be completely paralyzed from the nipples down with no fine motor skills in his hands." it hit me pretty hard. I have faith that he will be able to move his hands and maby even move his legs one day.

I am actually sending this update from home! This is the first time I've been home and slept in my own bed in over a week. Although it's nice to spend time with Capone and Katie, it just doesn't feel the same with Pete here poking at me, or hearing the X-box blaring at 7 AM. I find that the things that annoyed me the most before are the things that I miss the most now. It is comforting to know that this is just temporary, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

Pete is doing well, still a little anxious but he's gradually starting to settle in. Yesterday the doctors performed a test on him that they call the ASIA Impairment Exam. Although his injury is physically obvious, the exact nuerological affect it has had on him is not. This test helps classify what neurological problems he has that is currently affecting his movement or sensation/feeling.They perform this test frequently during the rehabiltation process and grade him on what he muscle function and sensation he has. With rehabilitation, his function is likely to improve.

As I said previously in my first post, and to give a little history, Pete suffered a C6 burst fracture which compressed his spinal cord by 80%. This is a pretty severe spinal cord injury, and we were informed at UVA that Pete is and will be completely paralyzed from the nipples down with no fine motor skills in his hands. In fact, just a few days after the accident one of the lovely residents felt it was important to let us know that Pete will not improve and he will basically be completely dependent for the rest of his life. This was devastating to hear, and it took everything I had not to walk over and shove that smug doctor right out his chair...even on our last day at UVA it was hard to fight the urge to punch him whenever I saw him in the halls making his rounds. I was thankful that he wasn't Pete's direct doctor, and honestly feel for any of the families that have the pleasure in dealing with him. My goal is to walk back into UVA a year from now and prove him wrong.

After hearing the results of Pete's ASIA examination, just three weeks after injury, I now have no doubt that we will prove him wrong. It has been determined that Pete DOES have sensation and function of muscles and nerves WELL below his level of injury. He has feeling/sensation in both legs and feet, his back, and his upper extremities. The only area of his body that he does not have any sensation in is his stomach. I dont think I have to tell you, but this is HUGE and a very good sign of what is yet to come. The feeling in his lower body is not as good as his upper body, but it's there and we'll take it! The doctors were very impressed with this. They are good not to give any prognosis based on this test, which frankly, I dont want anyways. I'm tired of doctors telling me what he can't do and I'd rather just see for myself. I am very hopeful for his improvement in the future and so excited to see what rehabilitation brings