Painting a steel trailer

I painted my last trailer using something I got a Home Depot called hammer finish I believe. It says you can paint right over rust and it encapsulates the rust so it can not spread. I just took a wire brush to it and sprayed away. That trailer still is holding up as I sold it to a friend years ago. :thumb: I still have some of the paint at home and if you are interested I will get you the exact name and brand.

getimage_new.asp
70576474-260x260-0-0_RUST+OLEUM+245219+12OZ+Hammer+SLV+Paint.jpg

Yeah i use a angle grinder with a wire brush wheel on it. I redid my old boat trailer and used Dollar general Paint and primer..... Turned out perfect... And it still looks good.

I use there primer all the time.... I usually use Rust-o0oo-leum gloss black though. Or Krylon(spl?)

0331011803.jpg

0401011449.jpg

0401011450a.jpg

0401011450b.jpg

31KBrn%2BqIfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We used this on my buddies truck, with tractor supply tractor paint(black) turned out pretty good and the paint is tough!

I didn't see anywhere, are you going to repaint the whole trailer? if so I'd take it to someone with a sandbaster, much less work than a wire wheel and destroys all the rust where the gun can get to, which on a trailer like that should be everywhere.

James

Staff member
I didn't see anywhere, are you going to repaint the whole trailer? if so I'd take it to someone with a sandbaster, much less work than a wire wheel and destroys all the rust where the gun can get to, which on a trailer like that should be everywhere.
I only painted the new metal. I'll probably take it to a professional when it's time for a repaint. :thumb: