Padded Palms, Thick Grips=Arm Pump?

Ok, so over time I have experimented with many different gloves and grips, and I have consistently noticed that when I wore a thin, un padded palm glove like the Novik TEC or Deft Family that I didn't get arm pump as frequently. I have noticed the same thing in going from something like Pro Taper Pillow top to cheap thin grips (scott deuce's have been my favorite as of late) also resulted in less arm pump.
The only thing I can think of is instinctually I grip too tight when lots of padding is present trying to get a feel for the bike :noidea:
any input?

Ok, so over time I have experimented with many different gloves and grips, and I have consistently noticed that when I wore a thin, un padded palm glove like the Novik TEC or Deft Family that I didn't get arm pump as frequently. I have noticed the same thing in going from something like Pro Taper Pillow top to cheap thin grips (scott diamonds have been my favorite as of late) also resulted in less arm pump.
The only thing I can think of is instinctually I grip too tight when lots of padding is present trying to get a feel for the bike :noidea:
any input?
I am running the Deuce grips and a thin glove, makes a great combo. I agree with you.

Good point Sean. I have no scientific evidance to support this theory but I like the way you are thinking.... CDA-RAck... throw the kid some squish so he can support his study. :thumb:

I do not like the pillow top grips and I have never worn padded gloves. I have heard that what you are experiencing is true to the fat, soft grips and such.

i love pillowtops :noidea: i hear a lot of hate for them but i actually have reduced arm pump when putting them on.

for my tho the biggest thing is my weight. i lost 70 lbs and the arm pump is almost gone completley. depending on the terrain i can do about 40 mins across 30 miles or so before i start feeling it at this point.

James

Staff member
Ok, so over time I have experimented with many different gloves and grips, and I have consistently noticed that when I wore a thin, un padded palm glove like the Novik TEC or Deft Family that I didn't get arm pump as frequently. I have noticed the same thing in going from something like Pro Taper Pillow top to cheap thin grips (scott deuce's have been my favorite as of late) also resulted in less arm pump.
any input?
This is why I ditched the pillow tops and now run the hard compound full diamonds with (unpadded) Mechanix gloves.

How I looked at it is that the soft grips make you grip harder as more force is needed to put the same amount of pressure on the grip (vs a hard compound). If that makes sense.

You all are riding too tight..:prof: You read about pros and what they are fanatics about when it comes to their one setup, well I am a grip, lever and bar person. I need to have my levers and bars in the right spot and I have to have the correct grip. I do like the renthal med compound the best. When riding the 13' 450 with the stock grips that came on it, I was not that happy with them and wanted to cut them off, but since it was not my bike I dealt.

Arm pump comes from 2 things in my book. Holding on too tight and working out the arms too much. If you are working out the upper chest and arms to be Mr. Olympia, expect arm pump. Loosen your grip on your scooter and hold on with your legs more. If you are holding on too tight, then you are not confident in the setup of your bike or know its habits.

As for gloves, I have both, thin no pad and padded. I like the padded for when we are on long rides or riding tight technical stuff, as your hands get sweaty, your gloves will become wet and the padding helps soak that up and gives you better grip from slipping off the bike.

Oh and Snowflake, look for 5 RMB to show up any day now to help you with your continued experiments.

yea i have learned when i can loosen up my grip and when i gotta hold on a bit tighter and definitely use the legs and core way more.