On Any Sunday 2

Won't be as nostalgic as the old corny ones that basically changed my life,but I'll watch it.

Not knowing your age... when the original came out it was "real time" which made it gerat because there wasn't anything like we have today.... Huskys were the King of the Desert, Harleys King of the oval, Yamahas were hte King of road racing... etc...

Now it's Honda (to be argued) King of the desert, Hondas King of the ovals and ??? King of road race...

Ok go ahead... was I incorrect on anything?

I'm 48, and other than having a hard on for Honda.......but KTM fills in the gaps everywhere else,in my opinion.

OK, so you're not far behind me... I agree that KTM is becoiming the team to recon with however they haven't done what Honda had done when the XR 650 was the King of the Desert... YET. Curt (RIP) was working on it and now Ivan but not many more... the movie Dust to Glory proflied at least 2 Honda teams. I know that was a few years ago but not that long ago.

Not knowing your age... when the original came out it was "real time" which made it gerat because there wasn't anything like we have today.... Huskys were the King of the Desert, Harleys King of the oval, Yamahas were hte King of road racing... etc...

Now it's Honda (to be argued) King of the desert, Hondas King of the ovals and ??? King of road race...

Ok go ahead... was I incorrect on anything?
:thinking:

Last edited:
OK, so you're not far behind me... I agree that KTM is becoiming the team to recon with however they haven't done what Honda had done when the XR 650 was the King of the Desert... YET. Curt (RIP) was working on it and now Ivan but not many more... the movie Dust to Glory proflied at least 2 Honda teams. I know that was a few years ago but not that long ago.
The late 80's and 90's was all about Kawasaki in the dez.

Never lived anywhere near a desert, so I only know bout that scene from media and whatnot. I would like to ride it someday, but I have noticed team orange really taking over the enduro and cross country stuff over the last 10-15 years, and have made an impressive dent in MX, to be honest I've never ridden any of the XR's but know they still have a tremendous following, but as far as the On Any Sunday movies, your right that they deal with contemporary riders and bikes, and it helps to know who to watch in some of the areas of the sport I'm not as familiar with, Ie desert, trials, even speedway.

Never lived anywhere near a desert, so I only know bout that scene from media and whatnot. I would like to ride it someday, but I have noticed team orange really taking over the enduro and cross country stuff over the last 10-15 years, and have made an impressive dent in MX, to be honest I've never ridden any of the XR's but know they still have a tremendous following, but as far as the On Any Sunday movies, your right that they deal with contemporary riders and bikes, and it helps to know who to watch in some of the areas of the sport I'm not as familiar with, Ie desert, trials, even speedway.

out here we had a little of everything except for Trials & enduros (woods). Before the XR came out I had oine of the first true 4 stroke dirt bikes... a Yamaha TT500 but was a really a desert sled... heavy, no suspension/clearance, but had power up the azz. I mod'd it somewhat, by putting an oversize oil line to helpo keep it cool, a white bros "banana" swing arm with laid down shocks (brand?..maybe fox) and air forks which gave the bike some boing and clearance... I never dod put a plastic desert tank on it... it already had a big "metal" (pretty) tank close to 3 gals... yellow sides with a chrome strip down the middle.

Then Honda came out with the XR's and the single shock... once I wore out the TT I got an XR 600... plush ride but not the poop the TT had.

Last edited:
out here we had a little of everything except for Trials & enduros (woods). Before the XR came out I had oine of the first true 4 stroke dirt bikes... a Yamaha TT500 but was a really a desert sled... heavy, no suspension/clearance, but had power up the azz. I mod'd it somewhat, by putting an oversize oil line to helpo keep it cool, a white bros "banana" swing arm with laid down shocks (brand?..maybe fox) and air forks which gave the bike some boing and clearance... I never dod put a plastic desert tank on it... it already had a big "metal" (pretty) tank close to 3 gals... yellow sides with a chrome strip down the middle.

Then Honda came out with the XR's and the single shock... once I wore out the TT I got an XR 600... plush ride but not the poop the TT had.
Several years ago I had a neighbor that had a TT500, his was orange and silver, he had bought it up in Nevada where the previous owner had used it for BITD way back in the late 70's to mid 80's. It had fox racing shocks on the rear, biggers forks off of some other Yamaha from the era and the lighting kit off an IT400
One night he decided he wanted to start riding again so we made a night out of putting it back together, bike was anything but slow, when you got on it, it felt like that Popsicle stick frame was being flexed by that great big motor. Was a cool bike for sure.

Last edited: