Oil Line Banjo Bolts.

hey guys. just a quick question sorry.
was reading through my service manual and noticed a section about the oil line(that supplies oil from the bottom end to the top end). there are 2 bolts, one of them is an oil jet bolt(which controls how much oil the top end is supplied with) and the other is a banjo bolt. one of them is longer than the other. the smaller 1(jet bolt) is meant to go at the top, in the head and the longer 1 is meant to be in the engine case at the bottom.
The manual doesn't state which bolt was which, i had to find out off a mate but i remember putting them in the opposite way(jet bolt at the bottom and longer 1 at the top).

question is, if the jet bolt(smaller bolt) controls the amount of oil the top end is supplied with and i had the longer bolt in there, does that mean the top end wouldn't of been getting any oil or i would've done any damage running and riding the bike? or should everything be ok still?

the pics below show the 2 bolts and the oil line section in the manual.

Oil Line Pic.png $(KGrHqVHJ!0FHTGyw4nqBR5Cmu8VR!~~60_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have an XR600 and it has the same kind of setup except that both bolts are the same length. I had mine backwards for more than a year with no issue. My guess is that the oil supply will be slightly reduced with the bolts swapped. I would not worry about it. It's not like you can undo any damage if it happened anyway. It's another good reason to run better oil. More margin against issues like this.

I just wonder how long the "Swiss" get to live off their reputation for watches and knives. you would almost think that it won't really matter where the restriction comes from as far as location, if ALL of the oil ALL goes to the same place. My guess would be that they decided that you could hold pressure a little better by having the restriction at the end. I don't know that engine at all and whether or not there are spray nozzles under that cover. If there are no plain bearings, the spray is the only reason I can think of for trading volume for pressure.

LOL, spray nozzles got you confused? Looks like they were planning for the pressure to increase the area the spray would cover. That is a fantastic drawing IMO.

its summer for you. go play with a hose a minute by holding your finger over the end of the hose to squirt with. see the distance difference in just letting the hose run free? Now, turn the valve halfway shut. play the same game. see if you lost some distance on the spray. Now imagine your banjo bolt arrangment and figure that the valve is acting like the restriction in the smaller of the two bolts. Starting to get the idea now?

could have. depends on how long it was that way and how you rode it. as CL says you can't do anything about that now, so just move ahead. (Makes sense, but "Swiss oil"???? LOL!!)

the bolt with the larger hole can't flow any more than the bolt with the smaller hole will allow anyway though? so either way the maximum flow will be the same as the smallest bolt hole anyway...