Not sure on what kind of bike to get

250 or 450?

• Total voters
Alright, so let's start off with this, I'm 20yr's 6' Around 220Ibs+/-, I currently have a 04 CRF250R, I've had to replace my valves twice now first time I didn't know what I was doing took the bike into a shop and just paid to have them replaced, so they just went ahead and replaced them with the titanium valves, not long after that, my bike again wouldn't kick over to start anymore... So I assumed the valves just needed to be shimmed, Took it in.. The shop told me that my valves where so tight they needed to be replaced, so I had them replaced with SS valves hopping this would cure my problem, Had them replaced did 1 Hair Scramble race, (second lap I lost rear break's.) Well since then I've only put maybe a total of 10-20 higher's on the bike since that race, and again bike won't start I've searched all over seeing people say bad valves are just a Honda thing for 04-07 Regular maint oil changes/filter cleaned/oiled, etc everything, what I'm getting at is my valves keep going out, and searching to trade in the bike for either a newer 08 newer CRF250R or a CRF450R I've ridden 450's but I feel like they're just too much of a bike for anything I'll ever need, I do ride hard and hit some 'Big?' jumps, ( https://media.giphy.com/media/Gm4sT46QcSlLW/giphy.gif ) and I have also ridden my buddies 03 CR250, But I just prefer 4strokes, So just looking for other opinion on what they think/would do if you where me Thank's a bunch (First post on a forum ever so hope all goes well, and this is the right place for this) Again thank's a bunch

You got BAD head work done. The seats were mismatched to the titanium valves. Should never have happened, shouldnt have gone on as long as it did either. There are companies like Fast Heads that can fix you up. FYI the 2008 came with the same materials, but it is better designed for broader performance. I started with a new 2008 head and had the seats and guides changed to live with the Stock valves. Long time ago. Works great. I just don't exactly like the bike as much as a 250 two stroke. Each to their own.

BUT. it is a Honda 250 and they do eat the valves n heads, always have. Get a 2st if you don't want to work on it. Get a Yamaha or KTM if you want a 4st 250 that will last.

You got BAD head work done. The seats were mismatched to the titanium valves. Should never have happened, shouldnt have gone on as long as it did either. There are companies like Fast Heads that can fix you up. FYI the 2008 came with the same materials, but it is better designed for broader performance. I started with a new 2008 head and had the seats and guides changed to live with the Stock valves. Long time ago. Works great. I just don't exactly like the bike as much as a 250 two stroke. Each to their own.
How long did they last after you started with the new head/seat/guides? ever have any problem's? is it worth it, I'm kind of sold on getting a 09 or newer for fuel injection, a buddy of mine had 2014 CRF250R, started first kick every time no matter what, and he never did maint on it, Then again he is the luckiest guy I know

So your asking about what kind of bike, but your survey is asking size. From the looks you are sold on a Honda and from your size, you would be better suited on a 450. It all depends on what you are doing with the bike. I see Hare Scrambles, Big Jumps, etc... Again more suited for a 450. Honda's are naturist for eating valves, but the newer ones are not bad. CRs are more a track bike than trail unless you go new and get the X.

Good luck on whatever you end up and with....:ride:

So your asking about what kind of bike, but your survey is asking size. From the looks you are sold on a Honda and from your size, you would be better suited on a 450. It all depends on what you are doing with the bike. I see Hare Scrambles, Big Jumps, etc... Again more suited for a 450. Honda's are naturist for eating valves, but the newer ones are not bad. CRs are more a track bike than trail unless you go new and get the X.

Good luck on whatever you end up and with....:ride:
450's are heavier? I've read around a lot and people who own both say they have more fun on a 250 apposed to a 450, I've never ridden on a track, I wouldn't be 100% apposed to getting a different Brand, Just more Honda's compared to Yamaha's etc, around where I live, I've never owned anything but Honda's and my 01 XR100R is basically bullet proof had it forever just as a spare bike for anyone to ride, and it's never even had oil changes now that I think about it, Is there any real noticeable power difference between Honda to Yamaha?(Doubtful) just preference,I know a lot of people here know a lot more than I do, The more I know the better in the long run, Thank's a bunch for your time!

Last edited:
450's are heavier? I've read around a lot and people who own both say they have more fun on a 250 apposed to a 450, I've never ridden on a track, I wouldn't be 100% apposed to getting a different Brand, Just more Honda's compared to Yamaha's etc, around where I live, I've never owned anything but Honda's and my 01 XR100R is basically bullet proof had it forever just as a fun bike, and it's never even had oil changes now that I think about it, Is there any real noticeable power difference?(Doubtful) just preference, The more I know the better in the long run, Thank's a bunch for your time!
Big difference from 250 to 450,,
If your not racing and do more freeriding I call it,,, get a newer 250 then if that's your size your familiar with. 450 bike is a big jump if your not use to the throttle, I would ride one a friend has???

It's a few pounds heavier nothing major

450's are heavier? I've read around a lot and people who own both say they have more fun on a 250 apposed to a 450, I've never ridden on a track, I wouldn't be 100% apposed to getting a different Brand, Just more Honda's compared to Yamaha's etc, around where I live, I've never owned anything but Honda's and my 01 XR100R is basically bullet proof had it forever just as a spare bike for anyone to ride, and it's never even had oil changes now that I think about it, Is there any real noticeable power difference between Honda to Yamaha?(Doubtful) just preference,I know a lot of people here know a lot more than I do, The more I know the better in the long run, Thank's a bunch for your time!
450 is around 243lbs wet to 231 on a 250. Again you are 6' and 220 and would be better off on a 450. Yes power is a factor but I would go 450. I am 6'3" 205lb and ridden a 250 4 stroke and feel not enough power for me. I am good with a 250 2 stroke though as they put out more than a 250 4 stroke. I am currently on a 450 4 stroke and 300 2 stroke.

Big difference from 250 to 450,,
If your not racing and do more freeriding I call it,,, get a newer 250 then if that's your size your familiar with. 450 bike is a big jump if your not use to the throttle, I would ride one a friend has???

It's a few pounds heavier nothing major
I dont have any friends that own and 450's anymore only 250's sadly or I would have, I've been on a 450 a few times before but it was like 3 years ago so back then I was only like 160-70lb everytime I would breath on the throttle I would spin the tire or wheelie, I just don't want to loose the fun factor going from a 250-450, I'm sure I'll still have fun being a little over 10lb's more from the 250-450 maybe it's just the size that makes me think it's more than that, again thank's to everyone for replying! I guess the next question would be brand

I dont have any friends that own and 450's anymore only 250's sadly or I would have, I've been on a 450 a few times before but it was like 3 years ago so back then I was only like 160-70lb everytime I would breath on the throttle I would spin the tire or wheelie, I just don't want to loose the fun factor going from a 250-450, I'm sure I'll still have fun being a little over 10lb's more from the 250-450 maybe it's just the size that makes me think it's more than that, again thank's to everyone for replying! I guess the next question would be brand
I'd rock a Honda!!!!

Your choice I've owned em all!!! What makes the bike is the owner and his/her knw how!!