Not getting spark

I need help figuring out why my '82 RM250 isn't getting any spark. This past few days has been frustrating, I went to friends house on my bike. When I decided to leave I couldn't get my bike to start. At first I thought it was flooded so I had my buddy try pull starting me. I still wasn't able to get the bike to start, my buddy ended up dragging me and my bike home, the next day I went to start it, wouldn't start so I started working on it, I checked to see if It was getting fuel, It was. Also checked to see if It was getting spark, it wasn't getting spark. I replaced the spark plug with a brand new one and It still wasn't getting any spark. I also looked at the wiring for any damage, couldn't see any. also looked at the magneto, its got some rust, it was also a little wet in a couple spots. I dried it off and checked to see if it was getting any spark. Still nothing.

All good advice. Sounds like my problem as well. I've got a 94 rm125 was running great and parked it for the night. Next day wouldn't start, found it wasn't getting spark. So I started working my way thru the possibilities. Ended up buying a new coil (after spark plug and redoing all my connections) fired right up. Went to touch the spark plug wire and shocked the #! $@ out of me. Killed the bike and to check why and now the bike hasn't fired up again since. I replaced the stator and still nothing. I'm thinking its the cdi but jeez they're expensive or i can't find a used one anywhere. (The internet)

All good advice. Sounds like my problem as well. I've got a 94 rm125 was running great and parked it for the night. Next day wouldn't start, found it wasn't getting spark. So I started working my way thru the possibilities. Ended up buying a new coil (after spark plug and redoing all my connections) fired right up. Went to touch the spark plug wire and shocked the #! $@ out of me. Killed the bike and to check why and now the bike hasn't fired up again since. I replaced the stator and still nothing. I'm thinking its the cdi but jeez they're expensive or i can't find a used one anywhere. (The internet)

Did the new coil come with a new plugwire and cap?

Of course. I'm an an A/P mechanic by trade. So im a stickler when it comes to the easy fixes first and always refer to my service manual.

I raised one of those (a/p's). I used to give him things he had to put together, and reading the manuals (SRAD and I talked about that at length) is as you say the ONLY way to properly do your job. I didn't realize what I started 30 years ago, I was just trying to force him to read. But you well understand why I asked.

another update... so i got it going. loaded it up on the truck and went to my local riding area. after no joke 5 min of riding it quit on me. so i swallowed my anger and pushed it back to the truck. Upon inspection it was yet again a no spark issue. At this point I've replaced and rewired the entire bike. Confident it wasn't the CDI box i popped open the stator cover and found it was shorted out. I bought the part off eBay because i didn't have nor did i want to spend the extra money on a OEM part. Luckily it has a 1 yr. warranty on it. Keep you posted when i get the part in sometime next week.

Ok. After the 2nd replacement stator burnt up after 10 min of riding. I scoured ebay and found a used OEM stator. Ordered that, installed and behold! It works and better yet has continued to run perfectly. Lesson to learn from all this... #1 have the right tools for (insert job) #2 always go OEM, even if its a 22yr old part.

Ok. After the 2nd replacement stator burnt up after 10 min of riding. I scoured ebay and found a used OEM stator. Ordered that, installed and behold! It works and better yet has continued to run perfectly. Lesson to learn from all this... #1 have the right tools for (insert job) #2 always go OEM, even if its a 22yr old part.

Yep. Even better. If you can find an airport local that will rewind staters. Go there.