4 Stroke Noooo what have I done! Sxf250

Changing out oil today on my sxf250.

Everything was going sweet just before I tightened up the oil filter cover. Over tightened one of the bolts and its snapped off and the heads come off.

Managed to get other bolt on and it's all secure but in gutted with my self snapping that one in.

Got any advice for what to do next. We're should I go?

Fired bike up and kicks first time, oil is at bottom of window and doesn't seen to move to upper part of window like the manual suggests even though I let it idle for about 5 min.

Cheers

Just an update. Just bought a new cover with the bolts and also a pack of the drill bits that help get the snapped threads out hopefuly!
Atleast I know how to do an oil change now.

Havnt rode the bike for two weeks and first thing I done two weeks ago was change the air filter and today when I kicked it first time she fired up. Beauty!

Mmm snapped the bolt head with the cover on sounds like if you pull cover maybe there will be a few thread showing? If you have taken any pics post up!
Flush with the case is another story will be tough keeping the bit from wandering. Try tapping a sharp punch and divot the center and start with the smallest drill bit you have.
Don't feel bad it won't be the last (or most expensive) thing you fK up! :) it comes with the territory.

Yeah. No joke. I snapped the bolt that holds in the shift drum in.... That SUCKED. It was either split the case again or be very very careful with the shavings, and wandering was horrible! Even with a center punch

I suppose I will have to drain the oil again if I take off the cover? Damn fresh oil too!
Upsetting thing is I go offshore tomorrow and just ordered all the bits and bobs to try and get out so can't try untill I'm home next, guna be a long 3 weeks thinking about it :mad:
Ill upload some pics when I'm home show you my progress!
Cheers

You may need either thread chasers or a thread tap even if you get the bolt out to clean up or restore the threads also, and if you mess up the original threads you also have the option of going with a heli coil. Basically there are many ways to skin a cat.

63A68312-208B-473D-997E-70F1263823E1-118-0000000210E4B36E_zps0061fdcf.jpg

That dude in the video got so lucky. That never happens.
I call bullshit.
It was setup, green-screened, CGI, not possible.
No way was that bolt stub flat enough to get a punch in the center.
Then I'm just gonna use whatever, oh hey look a needle-nose plyers, and she pops right out, yeah right.
Who you trying to kid here Mihylo33...what do you think we all fell off the turnip truck yesterday?
:-)

I have 99.9 % success rate with easy outs. Trick is lots of pb blaster and starting with the smallest bit. Too big of an easy out will expand the bolt and cause it to bind. That's when they fail.

I have 99.9 % success rate with easy outs. Trick is lots of pb blaster and starting with the smallest bit. Too big of an easy out will expand the bolt and cause it to bind. That's when they fail.

I probably am able to get a broken bolt out with easy outs maybe 20% of the time, usually threads were crossed or rusted to begin with when bolt broke. But I usually try the easy out kit first, just so I can say I tried.

My apologies, I digressed (new term for hijacked) the thread... my bad.
Did the broken screw get fixed?

In my world, if there is 1/8th" stub left over, I am going to try my best, sharpest vice-grips first.
Penetrant and heat follow.

Last edited: