James

Staff member
MX Sports:
Legendary Southwick Will Host Final Lucas Oil Pro Motocross
Championship Event with 2013
Moto-X 338 National on June 29
Track Will Celebrate Nearly 40 Years
of Hosting Pro Motocross Nationals

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. – With heavy hearts, MX Sports Pro Racing and Moto-X 338 in Southwick, Mass., have announced that this season’s Moto-X 338 National on Saturday, June 29th, will be the final round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing, to be hosted at the legendary sand track.
Moto-X 338 President Diane Peebles Pittello will step down as promoter of the fourth longest running round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship and officially retire after 35 memorable years as an integral part of one of the most storied venues in motocross.
“Unfortunately, we were unable to reach terms with the landowner to maintain the event at the facility,” said Peebles-Pittello. “The support we’ve received from MX Sports Pro Racing has allowed us to bring the New England area the best-of-the-best to the ‘Sandbox,’ with the finest motocross athletes on the planet considering this a destination event for many years.”
This season will mark the 35th year that the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship will visit Southwick in its road to crowning a pair of champions in the 450 Class and 250 Class. During its illustrious tenure as a fixture on the championship schedule, Moto-X 338 has been the site of many of the sport’s most memorable moments while also producing two of the sport’s greatest heroes in John Dowd and Doug Henry who each called New England home. Since hosting its first Lucas Oil Pro Motocross National in 1976, a total of 38 different riders have stood atop the podium in the 450 Class, 250 Class, or 500cc division. Additionally, within those winners five different countries are represented, making Moto-X 338 a globally diverse venue that has challenged riders from all over the world
“There are very few tracks in the world with a legacy that can even come close to that of Southwick,” said MX Sports Pro Racing President Davey Coombs. “The greatest names in the history of the sport have all raced at Southwick, but not all of them have found a way to win there. That’s a testament to the one-of-a-kind nature of the track that not only made it the premier sand track in the U.S., but also one of the most demanding circuits of all time.
“The sport of professional motocross traces its roots back to Southwick and other venues throughout New England,” Coombs continued. “The legacy established in New England over the past four decades is tied to the dedicated efforts of Diane and Ralph, and by Ray Peebles and Bernie Yellin. It has been important to the growth of our sport and we will continue to explore opportunities to maintain this legacy moving forward and ensure there is professional motocross in New England.”
“MX Sports Pro Racing has helped bring the sport of motocross to a premier level and we look forward to its return to New England where so many diehard fans look forward to enjoying the world’s fastest riders every summer,” concluded Peebles-Pittello. “We want to thank all the fans, riders, event sponsors and supporters, the town of Southwick, the local business, and everyone else who has been a part of the success of this event for their support of over the four decades Moto-X 338 has been around.”
The final Moto-X 338 National, the sixth round of the 2013 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, will commence on Saturday, June 29th. Tickets to the race are available at AlliSports.com and Motocross338.org.
For tickets and additional information, please visit AlliSports.com/motocross and LIKE the Pro Motocross Facebook page and follow @ProMotocross on Twitter and Instagram for exclusive content and additional information on the latest Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship news.
The times are changing...

Guess its time to open up my track in Battletown, KY for the Lucas Oil Motocross :smirk:... I mean what better name for a race. Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship Battle at Battletown. :banana:

James

Staff member
Guess its time to open up my track in Battletown, KY for the Lucas Oil Motocross :smirk:... I mean what better name for a race. Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship Battle at Battletown. :banana:

How close are you to the one that was just in Tennessee?

At least I can say I was there at the last real mans race track's National. I hope Unadilla won't be next.. I would not be a bit surprized if it were though. It is NEW YORK STATE afterall. If you don't livein the city you don't matter. I would like to see both Broome and SouthWick come back. What would it take to get one of them to be a part of the Nationals again?

James

Staff member
At least I can say I was there at the last real mans race track's National. I hope Unadilla won't be next.. I would not be a bit surprized if it were though. It is NEW YORK STATE afterall. If you don't livein the city you don't matter. I would like to see both Broome and SouthWick come back. What would it take to get one of them to be a part of the Nationals again?
Redbud is the "real man's" track...:stirthepot:

I forgot to post on here but 338 did post a press release stating that they're gone for good. :(

I was able to get Doug Henery's autograph, and I stood next to James durring the lites heat races. Actually it was funny. I heard this guy say ecuse me and as I turned to see who said it he smiled at me. To bad none of his skills rubbed onto me. :smirk: Have you ever seen the scars he has. Holy Sh*t.

Do you know that there was another sand track National. I beleive it was a National before even SouthWick. This track is still runnind today and the name has not changed. The track was a National in the early 70's. Probably even before most of you were born. Its located in Mexico New York its name is MOTO-MASTERS MX PARK.