nitrogen?

how can i check the level or know if my rear shock needs a refill?.. as i think mine does but im afraid to tinker with it as i know shit all about shocks ..

how can i check the level or know if my rear shock needs a refill?.. as i think mine does but im afraid to tinker with it as i know shit all about shocks ..
The only real way is to take it to a motorcycle shop unfortunately :(, they are usually around 130psi. Most gauges don't go that high and with the bladders being so small it would let alot out just buy putting the chuck on it.

I just set my Nitro-fill to 220 PSI and let 'er rip. You never know, when your getting chased by the cops you might have to throw it into a 2-wheel drift. There's nothing like rolling on the throttle, 5th tapped, going through a corner with full 2 wheel drift. Hey, if you make it, you're home free - if not, your kids have something to tell your grandchildren. You're welcome.:thumb:

I just set my Nitro-fill to 220 PSI and let 'er rip. You never know, when your getting chased by the cops you might have to throw it into a 2-wheel drift. There's nothing like rolling on the throttle, 5th tapped, going through a corner with full 2 wheel drift. Hey, if you make it, you're home free - if not, your kids have something to tell your grandchildren. You're welcome.:thumb:
I didn't know the mounted police could ride that fast up there being 1hp and all :smirk:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I use a regulator to check pressure in a shock, they go up to 500 psi or so.
But remember you consequently lose the amount of nitrogen that flows into the hose and regulator in the act of checking pressure.

IF you have a bottle or access to a bottle of Nitrogen, All you need is a regulator and an air chuck rated to 150 psi or more. The common air chuck is not rated for over 90 psi, I don't recommend it.
Set the regulators output to 100 psi, hook up the chuck to the shock, let the pressures balance, crank the regulator to the desired pressure (130-180 psi). remove the air chuck from the shock. Done deal.
Nitrogen is an inert gas and is fairly cheap because 70% of the air you breathe is Nitrogen.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

From my understanding its just the side container off the side of the rear shock that has a bladder inside it that has the nitrogen in it right? So how much pressure is in that bladder?

Also, when I had my shock service. the Bladder was busted. The guy rebuilding it said it was not all that uncommon. So if did have a gauge and it was busted it wouldn't give you the right reading anyhow.

Last edited: