Newish Rider Looking for Advice...

Hi, all! I have been familiar with dirt bikes to some extent since I was tiny, but I don't often get the chance to ride, so I would still consider myself a rookie. I am 19, 5'10" and very slight, and looking to buy my first bike this summer. It will live out in the middle of the Mojave desert and will be used primarily for trail riding. My uncle suggested that I buy a Honda CRF-150 since I need something that is legitimately adult-sized but not too powerful. Does anybody have any other input? I will also need a helmet, goggles, and gloves for sure--possible boots and socks. (I would also welcome input on the subject of gear. I don't need anything super fancy, and if you think there are things that I definitely do or do not need, please let me know!) As I said, I am a very small person despite my height, and I could easily wear children's boots, goggles, helmet, and possible gloves (convenient, since this would save money).

We trail ride. We purchased the essentials, boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, pants. We almost didn't purchase the pants, BUT after a few falls, I was glad to have the tough material that kept my skin protected better than jeans.

Last edited: