Newbie with a question

SRAD97750

Staff member
Greetings! Welcome to '¡El Forum máxima!'

That is a Yamaha MX100 motor, which was also used in a few different models from the 70's to mid 80's. But definitely not the YZ100.
I think those are just aftermarket (possibly chinese) fuel tank, fairings, and seat cobbled onto a genuine yamaha MX100. They do not fit the bike properly. The tank is for a water cooled bike with radiators. That engine is air cooled.
I would avoid this particular bike.

AD

1.jpg

MX100

2.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited:
I once owned a 1980 Yamaha MX80. I had so much fun on that bike. I got it for my 13th birthday. That was also the bike in which I recieved my first ever traffic tickets. :smirk:

Torquey and verry reliable. Mine was only a four speed but, I was ticketed for 54mph in 35 speed zone. :smirk:That bike took me wherever I wanted to go. Although I would never take it to an mx track. Only because the suspension was so soft and springy.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the bike. The forks are what really kills the bike. They are super soft. I was able to learn many things on mine. My father paid only 400 bucks for it at that time. It was used and it was worth every penny. But, if you could find a newer Yamaha PW80 or PW90. You would be better off. I'm sure you could find a good used PW for less than 800 bucks.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the bike. The forks are what really kills the bike. They are super soft. I was able to learn many things on mine. My father paid only 400 bucks for it at that time. It was used and it was worth every penny. But, if you could find a newer Yamaha PW80 or PW90. You would be better off. I'm sure you could find a good used PW for less than 800 bucks.

It's just a bike to help me learn how to use a clutch and just ride it around my neighborhood I really want to change the swing arm on it

Last edited:
I'm looking just to learn and ride it in a field or on the street I'm about 6foot even around 280 and I'm 18
You are a big boy. So you need to get something much bigger than that MX100. Try looking into the CRF, RMZ, YZF or KDX line up. At least a 200cc or bigger. The power on those bikes is verry soft and forgiving. They are easier to learn on. For someone your size would most likely be in the hospital with broken arms and or anckles. On that MX100.

Last edited: