New to the form! but back into DIRT!

Hi everyone! Glad I find the forum! So for Christmas I picked up 3 new dirt bikes for myself and my two sons. I picked up myself the Yamaha TTR-230A (it's new, but a 2011), my 12 year old got the TTR-110E (new, but a 2012) and my 8 year old got the PW50D1(new, 2013). I've ridden bikes since I was 9 years old, I'm 40+ now. Rode everything from go-carts to dirt bikes to street bikes. I had got my WERA license and was on the quick path to get my AMA Road Racing license until I was laid up for a long time after a pretty bad accident and after road racing for a few years back in 1989 - 1990 (Black Ninja ZX-7) hung it up. This was the time frame when Scott Russell and Doug Chandler road for Team Muzzy! That was a great time! Anyway, I had a few questions and would appreciate some feed back. Thanks. 1) Local shop suggest not getting boots for my boys (8 & 12) they suggest that getting ankle covering boots form Meijer would work better, he said the boys might find it hard to shift with them on and they would come almost up to their knees and it could cause more knee issues then it would not to have "riding boots". 2) I was think right off the bat of putting a high performance exhaust on and maybe even changing the rear sprocket to a taller one to gear it down for better throttle to wheel response and to make it a bit edgier. 3) Was looking for a 3 rail trailer for the bikes but a few people I know told me to just pick up a flat utility trailer with a ramp and use it as I'd have more options to use of the trailer. Any suggestions on the above or other would be appreciated!

Welcome back into the sport.:wave: I agree with the mx boots. They shouldn't come up to there knees if they are for the right size foot. My son started riding when he was 8 and I have always had him in boots. The best bet is to try and find some on Craigslist as kids go through them fast with there feet growing. That being the case, you might be able to get a good. clean pair pretty cheap.

I like the idea of a utility trailer. It kinda depends on what you are towing it with because if you are towing the trailer with a SUV, the utility trailer gives you extra space for the gas cans. 3-rail trailers can also but it is nice having the solid floor to walk on and to put other stuff on. Also serves as a changing space.:smirk:

welcome to the forum! First, nice score on the bikes! All of those should last you a long time with just regular maintenance :thumb: Also i would suggest getting a utility trailer because it is more useful AND more stable for the bikes. I've used a 3 rail and the sway and flex ALOT, really scary to watch your investment move around that much on the freeway. Anyways, good luck :thumb:

Welcome. You get major Dad points when you buy dirt bikes for your kids. Sooo much better then any electronic devices which is what most kids want or get these days. Im surprised with your background you bought a small bike for yourself. Either way, I hope you have a great time riding with your kids and you make epic memories to look back on and smile.

Happy New Year!:ride:

Welcome to DBA :wave: Nice score on the bikes. I say go with MX boots!!!! get them off ebay, CL or clearance off the moto shop sites. Get them used to using them now. My son started out with them and they have saved him a few times. Also get them some elbow and knee guards. Best money spent IMO. Nothing like taking a spill and hitting your knee or elbow on the ground or a rock. Easy bones to hurt:thumb:

OK thanks everyone for the replies! The information is very helpful. I will be looking at MX boots for the kids, not sure about my gear yet , but we'll be headed to Competition Accessories tomorrow morning as it's only about 45 minutes from where we live. Also I will be looking at a 4'x6' utility trailer with metal grate floor, and will add a box for tools, gas etc. - (Sun) I have been second guessing my decision on my bike since I bought it. The 230 seems a bit toward the lower end of the spectrum. I was actually looking at a used YZ250F and a YZ450F but for me I really didn't want to go with a 2 stroke while riding with my young boys I just think of fouling plugs and not really having a chance to rip it etc., as 2-strokes as I remember do not like to just putt around toward the bottom end of the power etc. Any comments on the sprocket change and exhaust, jetting carb?

Jos is right, with the kids it is not a bad thing. If you decide to bump up later, they may be ready to bump up too and take yours.

I would give serious thought to the size of the trailer your getting. 4' wide doesn't leave much room for "expansion". I would just recommend that you measure the current bikes bar width's to make sure your gonna have the room. :thumb:

Rack - Those are awesome photos! I can't wait to get started! Went and got a slew of gear today!

Turtle - That is a really good point I measured the length on the longest bike (mine) and from farthest point, tire to tire and it is just under 7', and I was just assuming 4' would be wide enough but never thought to measure the bikes side–by-side.

A few local bike shops told me that I would regret getting any trailer less than 8’ to 10’ and any trailer with 12" tires. So what are you opinions about that? My biggest issue is I live in a really old built neighborhood where the properties are 80 to 100+ years old. So yards are small, garages are detached (mine is a 2 and ½ as it was bilt 40 after the house was built). So my issue regarding the trailer is where I keep it when I’m not using it. I wanted a trailer that I could literally push up, vertical against the back wall of my garage so it's out of the way. I don’t want to get into a storage bill every month just because I have a trailer to haul bikes.

For gear I picked up MSR Metal Mulisha apparel for myself and a Fulmer RX3 Blue Plasma helmet. My 12 year old got Shift apparel and a Fulmer JX4 Junior Blue Velocity helmet, my 8 year old got Fox apparel (he picked orange/white/black – Honda colors???) and Fulmer JX4 Junior Wild Strike helmet. Gloves, googles, and chest protectors, no boots as the retailer was low on selection due to Christmas, I’ll check my local bike shops for those items. Not really knowing products for off-road / MX, I hope our picks were decent.