Other New to Me... DR sixfiddy!

So it's been a while since I bought another bike. Last one was my 81' rm125 project bike about 5 yrs ago. That's still in the shed waiting to be finished.
Any how..... I've been wanting a Dual sport for a while now and opportunity hasn't allowed it until recently. While skipping through Craigslist during my morning bowel movement I found this gem.
IMG_0187.JPG

2012 DR650 with only 3300 miles on it.
Mint condition, no wear on any of it.
Rides and handles nicely though I find the front end a little plush. I may just raise the oil level or maybe some stiffer springs. I'll need to think about it. The throttle seems to be a little hesitant on the test ride but I'll see if it clears out after some fresh gas and some seafoam. The power seems to be more than adequate though I don't find it to be as snappy as its red step brother the Honda 650. That could be because of the stiffer front end and lower gearing on the XR.
All in all I am extremely happy with this purchase. After all it made it easy to choose after seeing the condition and my ability to snatch it up for $3500.

I should mention that I was given a couple extras with it.....
IMG_0189.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet ride Mike!
I've looked at those for sale in my area too. Out of my price range though.
The throttle seems to be a little hesitant
Does that thing have a CV carb?
If it does, and the new gas and seafoam doesn't work, take a larger size drill bit to the hole in the piston valve. It made a huge difference in the throttle response on my KLX650.
Now, get a factory service manual, and clean that carb 3 times, and reset the float :P

I kind of bleed red, but the two dr650's that I have ridden were simply jetted and they would out run any of the air cooled xr650's in the same group. combination of gearing and an engine that was a little more smog concious in design. Shook so much less too. Pretty much on par with a KLR for being able to ride comfortably for hours.

So it's been a while since I bought another bike. Last one was my 81' rm125 project bike about 5 yrs ago. That's still in the shed waiting to be finished.
Any how..... I've been wanting a Dual sport for a while now and opportunity hasn't allowed it until recently. While skipping through Craigslist during my morning bowel movement I found this gem.
View attachment 30850

2012 DR650 with only 3300 miles on it.
Mint condition, no wear on any of it.
Rides and handles nicely though I find the front end a little plush. I may just raise the oil level or maybe some stiffer springs. I'll need to think about it. The throttle seems to be a little hesitant on the test ride but I'll see if it clears out after some fresh gas and some seafoam. The power seems to be more than adequate though I don't find it to be as snappy as its red step brother the Honda 650. That could be because of the stiffer front end and lower gearing on the XR.
All in all I am extremely happy with this purchase. After all it made it easy to choose after seeing the condition and my ability to snatch it up for $3500.

I should mention that I was given a couple extras with it.....
View attachment 30851
 :hifive: nice ride Mike! :hifive:

Sweet ride Mike!
I've looked at those for sale in my area too. Out of my price range though.

Does that thing have a CV carb?
If it does, and the new gas and seafoam doesn't work, take a larger size drill bit to the hole in the piston valve. It made a huge difference in the throttle response on my KLX650.
Now, get a factory service manual, and clean that carb 3 times, and reset the float :P
:prof::lol::smirk:

Mike, if it is a little hesitant on throttle response you will need to pull that carb and clean pilot circuits. My Beta after sitting for a while did the same thing. I cleaned the carb 3 times for insurance, set the float, and said who needs a phukin manual, this bike will run for days on one cylinder. :smirk:

Oh, wait... That only works if there are more than one in the first place.

Welcome to the world of riding a fat chick. Slap the crap out of it, and it will still come back loving you. :drool:

Mike, if it is a little hesitant on throttle response you will need to pull that carb and clean pilot circuits. My Beta after sitting for a while did the same thing. I cleaned the carb 3 times for insurance, set the float, and said who needs a phukin manual, this bike will run for days on one cylinder. :smirk:

Oh, wait... That only works if there are more than one in the first place.

Welcome to the world of riding a fat chick. Slap the crap out of it, and it will still come back loving you. :drool:

:lol:

does it have estart?
Eventually I'd like to have an estart plated bike.

The DR has estart. My klr250 I had back in the day was a kicker. I almost rode that to Texas one year to meet up with an old GF that used to do pretty things with her tongue. I made it to Maryland where I found a girl there that could do the same thing.

The DR has estart. My klr250 I had back in the day was a kicker. I almost rode that to Texas one year to meet up with an old GF that used to do pretty things with her tongue. I made it to Maryland where I found a girl there that could do the same thing.
Have you thought to seek help?

With age comes a big fat dual sport.
:banana:
395E3828-9F81-410F-B1AD-2898C4BC4120.jpg