New to dirt bikes, some basic questions

hello, I'm new to the world of dirt bikes and have a couple of basic questions on which I would like some input, thanks!
First, is it better to purchase a 150cc or 250cc bike ( or other?), also what is the entry level price I could expect to pay for each type, and is air cooled or liquid cooled better? I appreciate your input!

SRAD97750

Staff member
WELCOME.
There are many bikes to choose from starting out.
Depends on your height, weight, and what type of riding you'll be doing!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Glad you got the itch for dirt bikes! Like big dan said it all depends on your type of riding. Also air cooled bikes are pretty much dead. All newer bikes are liquid cooled. For sure get that liquid cooled :thumb: If you don't mind, how tall are you and what's your weight? What type of riding are you interested in?

I am about 5'11', about 170, and won't be doing ant extreme riding, just some simple stuff. Would there be a difference in bike preference between racing and just simple riding? Also, what should I expect for bike prices?

I would suggest a 250 for your size. Any brand will be fine. Just buy what you can afford. Prices vary on year but expect to pay anywhere from 1500 used all the way to 9k for a new one.

How about Chinese made dirt bikes?

Can be "ok" until you need a specific part. I would stick with air cooled Yamaha or Honda in the 150-230 range. Bike will outlast many of crashes in a learning curve, runs forever, just change oil and use a fuel additive to keep it clean. Seafoam, is what I use in all my fuels.

If you go used there are lots of very good japanese trailbikes both new and used. Where you ride it and how you ride it should determine what you look for and as Jackson says let your budget dictate.

My strongest suggestion is that if you do plan some trail riding and the trails are tight with slow sections, y ou wont be very happy learning on a race bike. So stay away from things that were intended for racing, XR's, DR's, TTr's etc will suit you nicely. In fact for a guy your size a bike that has proven to be reliable and decent in a wide variety of riding situations is a DRZ 400 (suzuki). they come in street legal versions even. some with electric start etc. Anytime I see them they are priced pretty reasonably compared to a Honda XR in like condition. You wont outgrow it fast. even cheaper are the air cooled DR 350's and 250's. I am really Honda oriented, but for deals with a decent amount of aftermarket support the DR's and DRZ's are worth a look.

Basic good engines, crap as far as braking handling and parts availability goes so if you have to have yes or no answers in the order you asked the questions so far I would say "no" and "yes" in order.