New to Dirt bikes need help

I'm New to dirt bikes and I want to get one
But I just don't know which one what brand or stroke to get I'm not doing anything extreme not even a wheelie... yet...
I'm not riding trails or racing I'm moving to a new house and there is dirt roads and opens fields and a little hill I'm not an experienced mechanic or anything but I can learn from YouTube videos ‍♂️ I'm 5"10
138lbs I was thinking about a YZ250f or YZ250 I'm not Rich and I don't want to be working on my bike more than I'm riding I won't be pushing the bike to its limits but now and then a little burst of speed won't be bad the 2 strokes scares me always be cause having to adjust the jetting and mixing gas with oil I would like to stop at a gas station and just put the dam gas in my bike and he 4 stroke scares me always because of the rebuild price and I don't know which bike requires a lot of complex maintenance so I come here to ask guys and gals and other what bike should I get that don't need a lot of maintenance easy to ride and chill on

It sounds like you are going to buy new, so I am going to say a lot of the suggestions are going to center around what is available for sale. Yamaha has some good tt250's and 230's that would fit the bill and they still make them. Honda had a great xl/xr line that started at 200 cc's and went all the way to 650's. One of my favorites for a guy your size that would be easy to use and grow with is either a suzuki 350 air clooled DR or one of the newer watercooled 400's from them. All reliable and easy to work on and great for dirt roads.

I wouldnt suggest a used four stroke race bike since you stated that trails and tracks are not it's intended use.

IMG_3464.jpg
It sounds like you are going to buy new, so I am going to say a lot of the suggestions are going to center around what is available for sale. Yamaha has some good tt250's and 230's that would fit the bill and they still make them. Honda had a great xl/xr line that started at 200 cc's and went all the way to 650's. One of my favorites for a guy your size that would be easy to use and grow with is either a suzuki 350 air clooled DR or one of the newer watercooled 400's from them. All reliable and easy to work on and great for dirt roads.

I wouldnt suggest a used four stroke race bike since you stated that trails and tracks are not it's intended use.
Is there any 4 stroke 250cc mx bike that would I would be able to get I really like the mx look

Last edited:
the bikes that have parts and mechanics available in your location would be the first consideration. Next would be your intent on its use. 2 strokes are easier to take care of, but the lower tech 4st motors don't need much work either. Just don't get a 4st race bike. So the Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki bikes like ossa mentioned above would be a great starting point. After that if you like riding dirt and feel the need for more speed or performance then step up to a race bike, but be ready to do more maintenance or live with mixing the gas.

I
the bikes that have parts and mechanics available in your location would be the first consideration. Next would be your intent on its use. 2 strokes are easier to take care of, but the lower tech 4st motors don't need much work either. Just don't get a 4st race bike. So the Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki bikes like ossa mentioned above would be a great starting point. After that if you like riding dirt and feel the need for more speed or performance then step up to a race bike, but be ready to do more maintenance or live with mixing the gas.
found the wr250r seems to be great it's a dual sport don't need much maintenance ether

For a race bike the yamaha's, particularly the wr line in unmodified form seem to be very reliable. For the use you mentioned I still think the dual sport oriented rigs are best to start out with, but as far as race type rigs go, the wr line is a pretty good compromise. Just remember it is very hard to really know what you are getting in a used bike, so buy it based on being able to afford a new top end at the very least, including a complete and proper head overhaul (in the case of a 4 stroke) and you can save some disappointment.

I am starting to get tired of the side by sides broke or stuck in narrow places. "Let me help you move this. I will just put these 4 sticks under the rear axle, run these two wires over to my motor cycle, and hook them to the stator. When it starts up, those "sticks" should light up and get your rig out of the hole".