450F New Papa of '08 kx450f

And holy cow. I'm not a new rider, but I'm a very inexperienced dirt rider. Have ridden off and on since I was maybe 8 years old, that's 23 years... but by "off and on" I mean there's been gaps of 2-3 years.

I've ridden bulls and busted broncs. This bike almost compares. The biggest difference I've found between it and climbing on a large wild animal, is at least I have control over what direction I'm going.

I'm used to riding a cruiser. But about a month ago, while shopping for parts to rebuild my Vulcan after a crash last summer, I came across a good price on a 2010 klx110 that needed some work, so I grabbed it up for my son. He's been having so much fun that I had to jump in too.

This 450 was the best deal I could find on a used bike that would haul my fat ass around. A 250 trail bike would be my preference, but I couldn't find one locally for a price I was willing to pay.

It has 83 hours on it, and I'm wondering what kind of maintenance I should be looking forward to.

I've found where it's missing a couple body panel bolts. The fuel petcock is hanging on a zip-tie. Missing the rear axle cotter pin. I'm sure as I go through it I'll find more bits and pieces to fix, just like with my son's 110.

So I know that no one seems to love the stock rear chain guide. This one appears to still be in decent shape, although the chain needs to be tightened. I'll need to look up specs on that.

The suspension has aftermarket components, set up for a rider who was 6'4" and 350 pounds. At 6' and 250, I find it stiff, but not unrideable.

The kill switch was scavenged from some other machine it seems. Doesn't fit the handlebars and only did it's job once all afternoon yesterday. So I cut the wires at the splice, bolted one to the bars, stripped about 5mm of insulation from the other, and I touch it to the bolt to kill it. Will look for a new switch today, maybe not OEM, but one that will at least fit and work.

Will do an oil change soon, within the week. Will drain the gas and put in some fresh 91. The seller claims he bought it from a friend of his about 2 months ago, never even got a chance to ride so he said screw it and sold it. He has no clue as to when the last oil change was or how old the gas is. Will also be checking/changing coolant and brake fluids.

The clutch doesn't seem to fully disengage. Not sure if that's normal for a MX bike. When kicking it while in gear and clutch lever pulled, it has a bit of movement. When started in neutral then put into first, it has a bit of jerk. Very minor. Haven't adjusted the cable yet. On my Vulcan, you can't feel the change from N-1 at all.

Will change the pipe. My Vulcan is far bigger, has down swept pipes and no mufflers, and this dirt bike seems louder. Annoyingly loud. Maybe it's simply the location of the pipe.

So that's what I've found so far. Anything else to look for? I'm mechanically inclined.

Oh, it'll mostly be used for trail riding in rolling small hills and well maintained woods trails. I don't think I necessarily need a dedicated trail riding set-up, but I'm open to suggestions.

Oh... haha... I don't consider myself a brand loyalist, but there's 4 Kawis in the barn! A Vulcan, klx110, kx450f, and an early 90's 220 Bayou parts pile that was given to me for some unknown reason.

I use Tapatalk for several forums, Vulcan Forum, Molon Labe, XDA developers and a few others. For some reason, can't post pics even when I edit them down to an acceptable size.

If I ever find a way, I will be sure to post many, up close and detailed pics from several angles and focused on different areas. I'm sure the experienced off roaders here might find something an iron butt cruiser rider may not notice.

Snowflake has been riding and racing a similar rig to yours for awhile now. He probably learned a lot that you can tap into.

Off topic but which vulcan do you have?

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you found a scooter that needs a little care. First thing to do is replace all fluids. I would even drain, flush and re-fill the radiators. I would even tear it down to almost the frame checking all bolts and components. Looking for any cracks or missing parts. re-grease it all and slap her back together. If you are just crusing around on this bike the suspension will be ok for now, but you may want to look into getting softer springs for your weight and getting them serviced. Fresh oil in the pogos is always a plus.

Keep us posted on the ride and the adventures you will be having with your kid. It is all goodtimes. Check out the site of some of the ride reports and the bantering that goes on around here. It is pretty amusing.
:ride:

Springs: I usually find that when I ride a bike that is sprung for a man who is that much larger than me, that the springs aren't as stiff as you would think. If the man is honest about his abilities and use for the rig, it is generally set up softer for a 300 lb tentative slow rider than for a guy who weighs 225 and rides it harder. Though I don't think I have ever been on one that was really set up for a man who weighed 350.

Thanks guys, I'll be tearing into it maybe later this evening or tomorrow, going on light duty for a couple days so I'm not allowed to ride. Sitting in the exam room right now, waiting to get my Lasik done. Should be good to ride by Monday and I'll be off work too!

Ossagp, I've got the an '09 900custom se. Has the big 3.

There are a couple vulcans I would like. The Indian, a voyager and nomad. I have a kz project I probably wont ever get to, so I think I am going to farm that out

From what your describing the clutch sounds somewhat normal, it is typical for there to be some drag in gear with the engine running and clutch disengaged. also if you feel the exhaust is too loud You could look at replacing or repacking the silencer,however comparing it to a street exhaust isn't the same equivalent. Welcome to DBA Trip.

Oh I know. I would just think open pipes and twice the displacement would seem louder, even with the difference in compression ratio. Especially with the street bike's exhaust being pointed down where the sound reverbs off the pavement.

Oh well. Replacing the silencer is no biggie. I also just picked up a motorcross helmet today, so maybe it won't sound so obnoxious while I'm wearing it. My only other helmet is the half shell I wear on my Vulcan.

Thanks for the welcome guys!
And thanks for clarifying on that clutch. That's not something I'm accustomed to at all.

Finally figured out how to post pics again!
Here she is. Biggest off road bike I've ridden. I know many people ride big bikes, but this is new territory for me.
e6e9ace5527bd18fd4ce214be773a426.jpg

This afternoon/evening's tasks...
Changed the oil and filter. Discovered the upper filter cover screw was missing. Scavenged one from my Vulcan.
The oil was flat nasty. Felt thin as water, looked like black paint. I keep extra oil on hand, so I ran a fresh quart through, drained it again, changed that filter and filled it to spec.
Went to tighten the chain. I'll be damned, some jackass put the axle nut on backwards! How hard is it to figure out the notches are supposed to line up with the cotter pin? So I turned it around, tightened the chain the best I could based on recommendations I've read online: 2.5-3 fingers width while on a stand. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG! PLANNING TO RIDE TOMORROW!

Radiator is almost empty. Don't know if there's a leak or if it got hot enough to boil some out. It runs good, and the radiator itself looks good and undamaged. The hoses look pretty good too, but sometimes you don't see the leak until you see it leak. So tomorrow I'm gonna pick up some coolant, any recommendations? I'd also like to pick up some hoses if I can find them.

I scavenged yet another small bolt from the Vulcan and ditched the zip tie that the fuel petcock was hanging from.

It wants to act a bit stubborn to start sometimes, but likes to start up on the first-second kick the rest of the time. This, coupled with a few pops I've gotten, makes me believe I'll see a whole new attitude with some fresh 91. No clue how old the fuel is, but it's behaving the exact way my Vulcan and my son's bike act when you put 87 in 'em.

Speaking of, here's the scoundrel I'm trying to keep up with!
99bf2ec2e031cf484a3c92edb73c2376.jpg