NEW MX Bike $3000.00 ... a speculation of sorts

Would you buy a NEW base model MX bike for 3k?

• Total voters
Why not?
Why not offer the public an MX bike at $3000-$3500 off the show room floor?
They would sell like hot cakes would they not?
What would you get???
125cc-250cc 2 stroke carbureted motor w/5spd transmission... easy to maintain, cheap to build, meets or exceeds all emission standards..
Steel frame with existing twin chamber suspension systems... no unobtanium....
DID/Excell base model wheels... again... No unobtanium,
Disc brakes, again nothing special... Nissin makes about 15,000 different brake parts I'm sure they have something in stock without reinventing....
Easily converted to desert/endure riding with basic add ons...
What are we missing???

I'm just throwing this out there just to see what people thought or desired...
I know that the manufacturers would never allow it, but what if the demand was there.... the 1st manufacturer to offer this would stand to win a lot of loyalty and 2nd time buyers....possibility of great profit as well...

If I had 3k to blow and was interested in racing and thought they would put an effort towards beating the four jokes...sure I would buy one. Then again why would they sell something for 3k when they can sell it for 8k and make more money? You know that we are only talking about the Jap companies here. They damn sure are not going to wake up and build both. I mean how come KTM is the only one with any sense when is comes to this? Where is my RM300cc :foul:

If I had 3k to blow and was interested in racing and thought they would put an effort towards beating the four jokes...sure I would buy one. Then again why would they sell something for 3k when they can sell it for 8k and make more money? You know that we are only talking about the Jap companies here. They damn sure are not going to wake up and build both. I mean how come KTM is the only one with any sense when is comes to this? Where is my RM300cc :foul:
I read on FB that Suzuki was making 300cc 2t. Must be true. I couldn't come up with this stuff myself. Maybe that's $3k bike M33 speaks of :noidea:

Yamaha YZ is real close to being such a bike! but they figure its worth 6-7k :smirk:
I'd rather have the aluminum frame now a days, a steel frame ridden hard is a wear item

James

Staff member
Would I buy one at that price? Most likely, depends on how bad the bike is though. The problem with a $3k bike is that you can't make one at that price. Granted you probably could get the parts for that amount but you'd still have R&D and other business expenses to pay for. :(

I'm sure you're blowing something, it just isn't 3k.... The point is why not offer an affordable alternative for racing or riding????

Would I buy one at that price? Most likely, depends on how bad the bike is though. The problem with a $3k bike is that you can't make one at that price. Granted you probably could get the parts for that amount but you'd still have R&D and other business expenses to pay for. :(

I don think there would be too much r&d... And I'm willing to bet there isn't 3 grand in parts... Buy a million sprockets from renthal I bet you don't pay much more than $15 each for them.... And if its basically built from a previously existing platform then the engineering would be minimal IMO...

Sean is right, the Yz 125 is a good platform to start with except it needs a steel frame and to ditch that SSS suspension. Cut costs, cut out the fat, increasing sales and increase profits...