New Member! -How Is This Bike? Any Tips?-

Hey. My name's Bryan, and I live in Tacoma Washington. I'm basically brand new to dirt biking. I've ridden 250's, 230's, 50's and such in the past, but don't have much experience on any bigger bikes.. yet! I'm planning on buying my first bike today, and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what to ask the guy. I'm meeting the guy soon, so reply quick!

Link To Bike Below:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3838203686.html

What do you guys think I should ask the guy? So far all I know is to check if the fork seals leak, check the air filter, check the oil, make sure the guy starts it cold, ask if he's done any work on the motor himself, ask what he uses the bike for (commuting or just trail riding), and how many miles it has.

If you can add any questions to my list, please do! It's my first bike, and I don't want to get screwed on this one!

Thanks, and i'm excited to talk to you guys on this forum, looks like a great community!

UPDATE:

Sadly, the bike was complete crap! All of the plastic was cracked, the air filter was full of dirt, and overall was bad news. So i'm still looking for my first bike!

Check for loose spokes and brake pad wear as well as sub frame tweaking.
Loose spokes happen over time and naturally brake pads get worn out, but if they're fixing to be metal on metal you can have an idea of how much time is actually on the bike. Stand directly behind the bike and make sure the center of the fender lines up with the rear tire and lays fairly flat (good indication to how hard its been crashed :P) I would ask for engine hours not mileage.

Hey. My name's Bryan, and I live in Tacoma Washington. I'm basically brand new to dirt biking. I've ridden 250's, 230's, 50's and such in the past, but don't have much experience on any bigger bikes.. yet! I'm planning on buying my first bike today, and was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what to ask the guy. I'm meeting the guy soon, so reply quick!

Link To Bike Below:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3838203686.html

What do you guys think I should ask the guy? So far all I know is to check if the fork seals leak, check the air filter, check the oil, make sure the guy starts it cold, ask if he's done any work on the motor himself, ask what he uses the bike for (commuting or just trail riding), and how many miles it has.

If you can add any questions to my list, please do! It's my first bike, and I don't want to get screwed on this one!

Thanks, and i'm excited to talk to you guys on this forum, looks like a great community!

UPDATE:

Sadly, the bike was complete crap! All of the plastic was cracked, the air filter was full of dirt, and overall was bad news. So i'm still looking for my first bike!

Well, consider this a good learning experience... you received a few responses back from worthy individuals... take that and whaever else you may learn and go to the next one... :prof:

Wanna by a SWEET 94ish Husky 610? :smirk:..... :devil:

Well my budget is around $3,000, but I'm willing to spend an extra few hundred if it's a great deal.

And can you explain what a dual sport is vs. a normal dirt bike?

Also I'm kinda set on getting a KTM :thumb:

Dual sport is a street legal bike for riding on the road and the dirt. You will be hard pressed to find a decent ktm dual sport in western Wa for $3000, especially this time of year. I just sold my 2004 ktm 200exc for 1900 but it was not street legal.

kaskade i would definitly recommend checking out the bikes jos linked, if your looking to be able to ride dirt and street to get to the trails, then i would recommend that drz 400 or something similar, also the ktm's he linked look pretty clean and would both be perfect for the woods, and the one with the rekluse would be excellent for you since your a beginner

This could be had for 3500. This is an amazing woods bike, and would be much better than a 450 for our tight single track no matter your skill level.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/3835166606.html

This one is awesome too! Has a rekluse auto clutch!
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/3851196130.html

Are those 2 strokes? And are they wide ratio or close ratio? I was told close ratios are not good for trail riding. And that 2 strokes are tougher to maintain and have more problems. Was I mis-informed? :shocked:

Are those 2 strokes? And are they wide ratio or close ratio? I was told close ratios are not good for trail riding. And that 2 strokes are tougher to maintain and have more problems. Was I mis-informed? :shocked:
No those are not two strokes,,,

and What? sorry you were way mis-informed. A smoker is super easy to maintain and work on and have no more problems than any other bike. They can be finiky to jet if you live in areas of the world that has ever changing climates and elevations but that is still not that big of deal once you get them worked out.

Those are 4 strokes. The xc-w is wide ratio. The sx-f is close ratio but has an auto clutch making it better for woods. Personally I'd ride either one any day in the woods.