new bike, new problems

As most of you know i just got an 08 suzuki GS500. The bike only has 3k miles. The other day when when i changed my oil i went out and rode for a while. Once the bike was fully warmed up there was a nice ticking coming from the engine.

I suspect the valves need to be adjusted, but i want more opinions.

SRAD97750

Staff member
What kind of miles are on this bike? I can't imagine an actual valve adjustment due within 50K miles on the GS500.
First place to start is checking valve clearance. Hopefully it will be something simple.

My money is on the cam chain tension or exhaust leak. -BIG DAN:thumb:

What kind of miles are on this bike? I can't imagine an actual valve adjustment due within 50K miles on the GS500.
First place to start is checking valve clearance. Hopefully it will be something simple.

My money is on the cam chain tension or exhaust leak. -BIG DAN:thumb:
original post says 3k, its practically new

SRAD97750

Staff member
original post says 3k, its practically new
You expect me to read AND give advice? This is getting too complicated for me...

At 3K miles, you have an exhaust leak or cam chain tensioner is not adjusted correctly. Highly unlikely the valve train has physically changed.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

You expect me to read AND give advice? This is getting too complicated for me...

At 3K miles, you have an exhaust leak or cam chain tensioner is not adjusted correctly. Highly unlikely the valve train has physically changed.
should i attempt to torque the exhaust bolts? if so should the bike be hot or cold? if the cam chain tensioner is malfunctioning, whats the action plan there?

SRAD97750

Staff member
should i attempt to torque the exhaust bolts? if so should the bike be hot or cold? if the cam chain tensioner is malfunctioning, whats the action plan there?
I would tighten the exhaust bolts while cold. IF they are already at torque specs, I'd break them loose and retorque.

For setting the chain tensioner,
Might have to remove, reset, reinstall. Some are adjusted while installed.
The manual will tell all.

the bike is nearly 7 years old.

Never bought a bike new before, just a thought.
If the cam chain tensioner is malfunctioning you should be able to retract it, unbolt it, replace it, then release the new one to add tension. ( if it's the same design I'm thinking of?)
I would re-torque the exhaust cold, then get the bike to operating temp and torque again.

Oops, Big Dan beat me.