new and i got problems

So im just starting to get into dirt bikes and i thought i would jump in feet first with a rebuild. not the smartest move on my part, but things were moving right along till i hit a stump. Im rebuilding a 97 Suzuki RM 125 ( bought the bike with a blown motor for $60) and it needs a new crankshaft. i started looking around for them on line and realized there are like 4 different models of crankshaft. how do i begin to find the one that i need?

You need to go on line to like a motorcycle superstore, motosport and look up the OEM parts department and put in year make and model, I doubt there are 4 to chose from for a 97 rm. The 4 listed were probably for different years.

I think the letter is part of the bikes serial number. Sorry I've been away from my bikes for 5 years I'm a little rusty. I'll look in my clymer manual I have a 99 rm 125. I believe its the same motor. I'll check and see what it says. It should be like the 6th or 7th# on the serial, I'll be back on in a bit.

OK I found your answer, 96 is a rm125t, 97 is a125v, 98 is a125w, 99 is a 125x, 00 is a 125y, so your should be a 125v if that's the right year it the frames seial #'s start js1rf15c v2100001hope this helps, but the v is the one you want, hopefully someone backs me up, this clymer covers your bike do if you do have more questions feel free to ask.

So im just starting to get into dirt bikes and i thought i would jump in feet first with a rebuild. not the smartest move on my part, but things were moving right along till i hit a stump. Im rebuilding a 97 Suzuki RM 125 ( bought the bike with a blown motor for $60) and it needs a new crankshaft. i started looking around for them on line and realized there are like 4 different models of crankshaft. how do i begin to find the one that i need?

Welcome!!!
Any of your reputable local shops will rebuild your actual crank for you. About $75 plus parts.

thanks!
that would be way cheaper, and i would normally take that option. but the motor was blown up very thoroughly and the crank was damaged. so ive opted to get a new one this time.