Never been on a dirt bike

So I figured Id give you all a bit of insight on who I am. Ive been riding motorcycles for the past five years now. Went from a 250 to a 750 and Ive now owned and ride a 1300 for the past two years. Ive rode all over the US with countless miles and conditions under my belt. So riding in general is nothing new to me.
I was also raised riding quads. 4x4 and sport but mostly 4x4.
Anyways, recently Ive been riding my friends Yfz 450r. I fell in love with it right away but would love to get more into dirt bikes rather than quads.
Am I wrong to want that? At 28 years old is it too late to learn? I know riding dirt/mud is completely. Different than street.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Happy riding to all!!!

So I figured Id give you all a bit of insight on who I am. Ive been riding motorcycles for the past five years now. Went from a 250 to a 750 and Ive now owned and ride a 1300 for the past two years. Ive rode all over the US with countless miles and conditions under my belt. So riding in general is nothing new to me.
I was also raised riding quads. 4x4 and sport but mostly 4x4.
Anyways, recently Ive been riding my friends Yfz 450r. I fell in love with it right away but would love to get more into dirt bikes rather than quads.
Am I wrong to want that? At 28 years old is it too late to learn? I know riding dirt/mud is completely. Different than street.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Happy riding to all!!!
i had rode a dirtbike a few times before but i didnt get into this sport till i was 33 :thumb: DO IT you wont regret it.

besides you already got the ahrdest part of riding under your belt.... throttle control. that was the biggest problem for me when i started... getting all whisky throttle or staling. once you get the basics of dirt riding the rest will come fast.

if you can video your rides do it and post em up... i cant even tell you how much of a better rider i am now from the feedback given to me by DBA users. the other big thing is you need to RIDE and RIDE a lot. if you get beat up and sore you cant quit cause it does get better once you build those muscles. SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME. its all about riding.

Last edited:
I started at 29 and was instantly hooked for life. Now 22 years later I still ride as much as I can. I have got to agree with Travace, I started with a XL250 because I had zero motorcycle experience and my throttle control sucked. Numerous mishaps resulted. Starting with a big bore should not be an issue for you.

You will likely even learn some low traction skills that can help on the street.

Great!! So I'm not too late :-)
So what bike should I get, knowing I know how to ride, making the transition to dirt.
I've always owned Hondas. From day one they've never failed on me. They're reliability is the best out there but I know Yamaha and Kawasaki also make great machines as well. Also for my first bike Is love to keep it under $2k but I realize that might not be reasonable for a reliable bike.

WR 250 or 450, CRF 230, good 4 stroke bikes, the Honda CRF250 and 450 have issues and if you want reliability thats what I suggest.
If you go with mixing gas and hauling ass, the YZ 250 2 stroke will be the best bike with 2002-2014 being the best years. You can pick up a YZ 07 and under for 2300 bucks.
Whatever you decide, you done for, it's addicting!!!

Great!! So I'm not too late :-)
So what bike should I get, knowing I know how to ride, making the transition to dirt.
I've always owned Hondas. From day one they've never failed on me. They're reliability is the best out there but I know Yamaha and Kawasaki also make great machines as well. Also for my first bike Is love to keep it under $2k but I realize that might not be reasonable for a reliable bike.

id get a yz 250 or a wr450. and you need to start a religious viewing of craigslist. have the cash on hand and be ready to go and make a deal when ever you can. you have street experience so im guessing you know how to look over a bike somewhat? look to make sure the bike wasnt crazy wrenched on. my first bike was a 525 sx with zero experience i got off CL for 2500. people said i was nuts but just because all the power is there doesnt mean you have to twist it all.

Welcome! I learned last year at ripe age of 33 :) I trail ride and I love it. I bought a new TTR-230. Easy power but enough to a newbie like me in trouble. My mountain biking/cycling experience has truly helped. I love my TTR for what it can do, I do with the suspension was more tuneable. A WR250 is what I want next and I'm sure you could find plenty in your area.

SRAD97750

Staff member
One thing I had a hard time learning coming from strictly sportbikes...

Dirtbikes don't always point in the direction you're going... :shocked: It took some getting used to...
-BIG DAN:thumb:

just keep in mind you are a rookie all over again. nothing you mentioned riding will respond like any full sized current mx bike will, so pick your early mounts carefully and remember that physics applies to all moving masses!! :-)