need some crankcase help, 2000 cr250

I traded my 98cr250 for a 97klx300, rode it for a little while and just got bored with the 4stroke...So I traded the klx300 for a 2000 cr250 had to get a 2stroke again, all beside the point sorry.

But the 2000 cr has a cracked crankcase and inner clutch cover around the kicker, does any one know if other years will fit and work properly??? I looked up on bike bandit but it only shows that 00-01' have the same.part numbers, I'm not made of money and it seem like all the cheap used cases are for older cr's where 00-01' casings are only like 10 bucks cheaper than new.
Thanks for any help or input.

Well if the parts diagram and numbers only match for those years, chances are slim for anything else. Keep an eye out on flea-bay and pick up used. Had the same problem with the bastard 88YZ I just worked on and the need for a power valve. 87 worked but was not the same.

Are you talking about an actual center case? I know those will swap out as a set. We have mixed lefts and rights from various years (93 and 96) without a problem. Honda changes numbers sometimes as an accounting function. The thing about part numbers is that if they match yours you know it will fit, and if it doesnt match it may still fit. All the transmissons from about 92 until they stopped making the 2 stroke would fit into the newer ones for instance right up until they quit making them. (they also fit into the crf450). Anyway, if you do buy an original from honda the nice thing about the buy is that they come with new bearings. Which is a consideration.

Thanks for the help. Yea it's the actual right main crank case and the inner clutch cover. I did buy a cheap used inner clutch cover from a 92 for about 22 bucks and bolted right up no problems, I still need to find a right crank case though. And if I would need to buy the pair of cases if I went older or newer with the cases

Last edited:
Also I found a really good deal on a 2002 tm 250 2t. I've heard of people swapping them in place of their cr250 motors. Has anyone heard or seen anything about that before?

Last edited:
Giant step backwards on the swap. Parts are going to belter of a challenge and I have yet to have anyone show that vintage of tm to be as good as what was the best in its class. Yamaha had just as good by 2001.

Thanks for the help. Yea it's the actual right main crank case and the inner clutch cover. I did buy a cheap used inner clutch cover from a 92 for about 22 bucks and bolted right up no problems, I still need to find a right crank case though. And if I would need to buy the pair of cases if I went older or newer with the cases
Honda sells them separately, or as some would say unmatched. If you can find a 50 dollar one it's worth a shot since you know the sidecase will work.

Yep, nice thing about these motors are "non-matched" case halves. Sometimes they come with all the bearings installed also. Look into it a good lucks....

Thanks a lot. I'm looking around a bit now for cases and now that I know I could match say a 2001 to my 2000 really helps..ebay isn't cutting it, I can get brand new from the shop up the road for a little more than what I'm finding used on there. And just having a baby born last week the money department is a lot tighter. But I'm going for cheap but done right.