need help

hey guys. just got a new bike in the process of rebuilding but im stuck, i have a 98 kx100 (2 stroke) i have the head off, im lookinh at the bottom end, were the bottom end crank and were the fluid veiwing glass is (by the rear break) is that one fluid or are those to diffrent fluids

hey guys. just got a new bike in the process of rebuilding but im stuck, i have a 98 kx100 (2 stroke) i have the head off, im lookinh at the bottom end, were the bottom end crank and were the fluid veiwing glass is (by the rear break) is that one fluid or are those to diffrent fluids ?

If you poured ATF into the cranks case and not the fill cap, then no...if you pull the drain plug only the oil for the clutch/transmission will come out. You will have to pull the motor out and turn it upside down to get that out. Crank case only gets it's oil from the premixed gas.

Let me explain a bit, when the premix enters the cylinder from the carb the fuel ignites from the spark of the spark plug. The oil that is in the gas is left suspended since it burns at a much slower rate and that is where the crank bearings, wrist pin bearing, piston and rings all get their oil from before finally being burned off. Never is there any oil in the cranks case as in a sense like a oil pan in a car. There will be some residuals from the premix but very little and that is normal for all 2strokes.

oh oook thanks, but the crank that the rod is conected to almost seized up, what is the cause
Bad bearings. You will need to pull the cases apart and rebuild. Three bearings one on the rod called the big end bearing and two on each side of the crank called the crank bearings.

so that siezing up is un avoidable ? when i pulled the head the crank turned a blueish brown color like it got to hot, long story short, bought the bike with bad topend, needed piston and rings, replaced that just not the gastget, started her up, ran but knocked hard shuts off and tryed to kick, locked, looked in the little visor glass by the foot break, empty, pulled it apart, foound out gastget were the top end meets bottom end was bad, coolent all over piston and in bottom end, i got the rod free and i put atf in the crank and rotated it a couple times to get it loose, and it is now sitting in lube, im sure i need to rebuild whole motor, put was the fact that the coolent got in the the crank case, is that what caused it to seieze or lack of oil?

SRAD97750

Staff member
3 Different Fluids.

Rear Brake fluid is viewable throught the sightglass on the rear brake master cylinder. Uses DOT3 or DOT4 Brake fluid.

Transmission 0il is typically a motor oil or transmission oil that is kept by itself in the transmission and clutch. This lubricates everything except the crank, rod, piston. This Transmission oil is viewable through a sightglass on the side of the motor.

PREMIX is the oil you add to the gas, it lubricates the Piston/Rings/Rod/Crank/Bearings. There should be no standing oil in the crankcase.

Photos also help.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

There are a couple factors
1) Poor oil/gas ratio I run 32:1 W/15:1 Break in on rebuild.
2) Age can be the cause in older engines.
It just happened on my sons 2002 YZ 250 Rod bearing go bye bye.